UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University volleyball team hosted Michigan Tech University on Friday (Nov. 6) in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference (GLIAC) North Division matchup at SVSU's Cardinal Gym.
The Huskies took the opening set by a score of 25-21, using eight kills from Lauren Emmert. SVSU got three kills apiece from Kaylee Schmitt and Tamara Heller in the first frame. Heller added seven digs in the first set as well while Kelly Vellucci had 10 assists.
Saginaw Valley bounced back and evened the match at 1-1 after a 25-19 edge in the second set. Schmitt added four kills in the second set while Heller had another eight digs. The Cardinals were aided by six blocks on the defensive end as well.
Michigan Tech grabbed a 2-1 lead with a 25-23 comeback victory in the third set. The Huskies got another five kills from Emmert while the Cards got three kills apiece from Andrea Brigham and Heller. SVSU had another six blocks in the third frame.
The Huskies closed out with a 25-21 victory in the fourth and final set, sealing the victory. SVSU got Schmitt notched another trio of kills in the final set while Emily Nieman had nine digs.
Inside the Boxscore
- Schmitt had a team-high 10 kills while hitting .229, adding five blocks and two service aces.
- Heller had a match-best 23 digs and added eight kills.
- Vellucci had 30 assists and added 12 digs defensively.
- Brooke Tiller had 18 digs while Nieman tallied 15 total for the Cardinals.
- Brigham had double-digits in digs as well, recording 12 to go along with her eight kills and four blocks.
- Tech's Emmert had a match-best 20 kills while hitting .333
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley hosts Northern Michigan University on Saturday (Nov. 7) in another GLIAC North battle, this contest scheduled to begin at 2:00 p.m. The Wildcats (19-8, 8-7 GLIAC) are coming off a 3-0 victory at Wayne State on Friday night.