Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Wayne State 1
Records: SVSU (20-5, 10-4 GLIAC) | WSU (11-15, 6-8 GLIAC)
Location: Matthaei Gym – Detroit, Mich.
DETROIT, Mich. – The SVSU volleyball team secured its 20th victory of the 2015 season Tuesday evening after posting a 3-1 win over the Wayne State University Warriors on the road in GLIAC action.
The Warriors claimed a 25-21 edge in the opening frame to take the 1-0 lead. Saginaw Valley responded in a big way, as the visitors posted three straight set wins with scores of 25-18, 25-19 and 25-23, respectively.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals hit .209 in the match compared to a mark of .101 for the Warriors.
- Margan Eddy had a standout match for SVSU, recording 11 kills for a .688 hitting percentage. She added four blocks for the visitors.
- Kaylee Schmitt hit .294 for SVSU with a team-best 13 kills. She added eight total blocks.
- Saginaw Valley out-blocked its opponent by a 20-7 margin.
- Andrea Brigham chipped-in with 12 kills.
- Brooke Tiller led the way defensively with 17 digs. Emily Nieman added 12 digs and Tamara Heller had 10 to go along with her six kills.
- Kelly Vellucci had 43 assists, 15 digs and three blocks.
- The victory makes it 20 on the season, marking the most since the 2009 season (22).
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Eddy earned Chili's Player of the Match honors for her 11 kills and four blocks, including an outstanding .688 hitting percentage.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"We had a slow start and their serving got us a little off-balance in the first set. But we picked up out intensity and that got our offense going, enabling us to finish sets two, three and four. Our blocking, once again, was a strong point and helped handle their hitters better."
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley hosts the Michigan Tech University Huskies Friday night at 7:00 p.m. before tangling with the Northern Michigan University Wildcats Saturday in a 2:00 p.m. mathup.