Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Lake Superior State 0
Records: SVSU (18-5, 8-4 GLIAC) | LSSU (0-19, 0-12 GLIAC)
Location: Bud Cooper Gymnasium – University Center, Mich.
SAULTE STE. MARIE, Mich. - The SVSU volleyball team notched its 18th victory of the season after posting a 3-0 sweep on the road over the Lake Superior State University Lakers in GLIAC North Division play.
The Cardinals ran out to a 1-0 advantage with a 25-20 victory in the opening set. SVSU went on to finish the sweep with wins in the second and third frames, posting 25-17 and 25-15, respectively to close out the match.
Inside the Boxscore
- Andrea Brigham led the Cardinals with a match-high nine kills, adding six digs.
- Morgan Eddy added five kills with eight blocks and four aces.
- Kaylee Schmitt posted seven kills three blocks and five digs.
- Kelly Vellucci had 25 assists in the contest for the Cardinals.
- Emily Nieman added a team-best 11 digs in the contest.
- SVSU had 20 blocks in comparison to the Lakers' eight.
- The 18th victory for Saginaw Valley surpasses last year's total and is the most for the program since the 2011 season.
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Eddy earned Chili's "Player of the Match" honors with her five kills, eight blocks and four service aces for the visiting Cardinals.
From Head Coach Will Stanton
"Lake State did a good job of pressuring us with its serve and it took us a little while to get our offense working. Our middles got on a nice roll and then our serving picked up, so we were able to keep their hitters off balance."
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley continues on the road and plays at Northwood University on Saturday (Oct. 31) in a 5:00 p.m. contest.