Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Lake Erie 1
Records: SVSU (17-5, 7-4 GLIAC) | LEC (5-15, 1-10 GLIAC)
Location: Cardinal Gym – University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER – Coming off a tough five-set defeat on Friday evening against the Ashland University Eagles, the Saginaw Valley State University volleyball team rebounded nicely on Saturday afternoon, posting a 3-1 victory over the Lake Erie Storm in GLIAC action.
The Cardinals jumped out to a 1-0 advantage after taking the first set by a score of 25-12, hitting .346 offensively and holding the Storm to a mark of -.219.
Lake Erie evened the score at 1-1 after a 25-23 edge in the second set.
SVSU would bounce back and take the next two sets, claiming 25-11 and 25-15 victories, respectively, to close out for the two-set win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Kaylee Schmitt hat a match-high 11 kills while hitting .500 and added seven blocks, which was also a match-best.
- Kelly Vellucci had 40 assists and added three kills, five digs and five blocks defensively. It marks her 12th match this season with at least 40 assists.
- Brooke Tiller recorded a match-high 17 digs for the Cardinals.
- Tamara Heller had eight kills, 14 digs and four blocks.
- Morgan Eddy, Sidney Scott and Rachel Eisenhouer all chipped-in with four blocks as well.
- The 17 victories for Saginaw Valley matches last year's win total.
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Vellucci earned player of the match honors after posting 40 assists, three kills, five digs and five blocks against the Storm.
Up Next for the SVSU...
Saginaw Valley travels to play at Lake Superior State University on Friday (Oct. 30) evening in a 5:00 p.m. matchup before playing at Northwood University on Saturday (Oct. 31) in another 5:00 p.m. contest.