Score: Saginaw Valley 3, Ohio Valley 0
Records: SVSU (16-4, 6-3 GLIAC) | Ohio Valley (8-14, 1-0 G-MAC)
Location: Great Lakes Center – Aurora, Ill.
AURORA, Ill. – After splitting on day one at the 2015 Midwest Region Crossover Tournament with a win over Drury and a loss to McKendree, the Saginaw Valley State University volleyball team sealed a winning 2-1 record at this year's event after posting a 3-0 sweep over the Ohio Valley Fighting Scots on Saturday afternoon.
The Cardinals held on for a close 25-22 win in the opening set, posting 12 kills and a .116 hitting percentage. SVSU then would get 16 kills in a second set and a .257 hitting percentage in the second frame while posting a 25-17 edge. SV then used a .458 hitting percentage to cruise to a 25-12 win in the third and final set, moving to 16-4 overall for the 2015 season.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals posted a .245 hitting percentage overall as a team in the match while holding the Scots to a mark of .041.
- SVSU had 13 total blocks in the contest with a match-high coming from Kaylee Schmitt.
- Schmitt led the match with 12 kills as well, hitting at a .750 clip on 16 total attack attempts.
- McKenzie Schuster hit .333 in the match, registering 10 kills and three blocks.
- Kelly Vellucci had seven kills (.455) on 11 attack attempts and had 26 assists in the three-set affair.
- Emily Nieman had a team-best 10 digs in the match for the Cards.
Chili's "Player of the Match"
Schmitt earned the Chili's "Player of the Match" honor with her 12 kills and .750 kill percentage blocks for the Cardinals.
Up Next for the SVSU...
The Cardinals (16-4, 6-3 GLIAC) return home to the Cardinal Gym to host Ashland University Friday (Oct. 23) in a 7:00 p.m. matchup before hosting the Lake Erie Storm on Saturday (Oct. 24) in a 2:00 p.m. contest. It will be the annual breast cancer awareness weekend for the Cardinals.