UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Women's Soccer team defeated Northwood University on Sunday (Oct. 13) afternoon in a league matchup, using a goal in each half for the victory.
With the win, SVSU improves to 6-4-0 overall and 3-1-0 in the GLIAC. The Timberwolves fall to 6-5-0 and 2-2-0 in league action.
The second half's scoring was when Rice put one towards net and the ball was loose in front of the goal before being knocked-in by Northwood in an attempt to clear the ball. That made the count 2-0 in SVSU's favor at the 74' marker.
Inside the Boxscore
- Rice's goal was the first of her career for the Cardinals.
- Sims now has five assists on the season.
- Alyssa Watts (4-2-0) got the victory in net, making two saves in her fourth shutout of the season.
- Jennifer Muana had a team-high three shots with one on goal.
- Saginaw Valley out-shot Northwood 14-10 and had five corner kicks to Northwood's three.
From Head Coach Michael O'Neill
"Really proud of the team effort today. We felt a little hard done by after Friday's defeat but we responded with a great fight today. Playing your local rivals is never easy and we knew we had to do the ugly stuff well today to win. Another shutout in GLIAC play is also something that is great to see. The big games are coming thick and fast, as we now prepare for an in-form Ashland team on Saturday."
The Cardinals play at Ashland University on Saturday (Oct. 19) in another league matchup. First kick will be at 3:00 p.m. in Ohio.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---