UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Women's Soccer team hosted Ferris State University on Friday afternoon in a key GLIAC matchup at SVSU's Braddock Field. After a scoreless first half, the Bulldogs used two second half scores to come out on top for the shutout victory, 2-0.
The Cards maintained possession for most of the first 45 minutes and held a 6-2 advantage in shots, putting two on goal compared to one for Ferris State.
In the second half, the momentum turned to the visitors a bit, as the Bulldogs put up nine shots to SVSU's four in the frame. Ferris State put five of those shots on goal in the half and the Cardinals weren't able to put any on net.
The Bulldogs converted on two of those shots on goal, using an Emily Mergener goal at the 68' mark and another from Gabrielle Teodorescu in the 76th minute to take the 2-0 lead.
Despite a couple of close chances for Saginaw Valley in the end, including a shot off the crossbar, Ferris State closed-out for the 2-0 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Ferris State posted a narrow 11-10 edge overall in shots and had a 6-2 advantage in shots on goal.
- SVSU had seven corner kicks in the matchi while the Bulldogs had three.
- Amy Babon had a team-high three shots for Saginaw Valley, putting two of those on goal.
- Jennifer Muana, Autumn Kloha and Whitney Fleming added two shots as well for the Cardinals.
- Alyssa Watts (3-2-0) took the loss in net, allowing two goals and posting four saves in her 90 minute of action.
- Ferris's Grace Kraft saved both of the shots she faced on goal.
SVSU hosts Northwood University on Sunday (Oct. 13) in another league match at Braddock Field. First kick will be at 1:00 p.m.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---