UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Facing an early 1-0 deficit against Fairmont State on Sunday, the SVSU Women's Soccer team completed a comeback and was able to claim victory over the Fighting Falcons. Saginaw Valley got a pair of late goals from Jennifer Muana in the final 19 minutes, with the second coming as five seconds remained to seal a 2-1 victory at Braddock Field.
Fairmont State got on the board at the 13' marker when Ari Christiansen took a loose ball deep in the SVSU zone and found the back of the net for the 1-0 edge.
That was just one of the team's two shots in the opening 45 minutes of action compared to the Cardinals' 10 first half shots.
The second half went similarly, as the Cardinals got-off 15 shots to Fairmont's two, putting the pressure on.
Goal number one came at the 72' mark, when Muana headed one past the keeper off a corner kick from Allison Sims. That knotted the match at 1-1.
That same 1-1 score held true until there were under 10 seconds left in the match. That's when Zo Schultz and Madie Saleh worked to set up Muana once more and she scored to give the Cardinals a 2-1 lead as five seconds remained.
That sealed the victory for the Cards, who picked up their second win of the season with the victory over the Fighting Falcons.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU out-shot Fairmont by a 25-4 count, putting eight shots on goal compared to a pair for the visitors.
- The Cards had four corner kicks while not allowing any for the Fighting Falcons.
- Muana's goals were her first two of the season, as she had six shots in the match with three on net.
- Whitney Fleming added five shots with one on goal.
- Amy Babon added four shots with a pair on goal.
- Ally Gaunt (2-2-0) worked the entire 90 minutes in goal, allowing one score and making one save.
Postgame Interview - Michael O'Neill
Saginaw Valley returns to the field on Sunday (Sep. 22), as it travels to play at Ferris State in a regional tilt. First kick is slated for 1:00 p.m. in Big Rapids. Follow the action live at svsucardinals.com.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---