UNIVERSITY CENTER -- In a matchup of top-five teams in the Midwest Region, the SVSU Women's Soccer team came out on top in claiming a 2-1 double overtime victory over Ashland University in a non-conference match at Braddock Field.
The Cardinals responded from an early 1-0 deficit and scored two unanswered goals the rest of the way to claim the win. SVSU is now 9-1-2 overall and 3-0-1 in the GLIAC while the Eagles suffer their first loss of the season at 7-1-4 and are 2-0-2 in league action.
Ashland's Hannah Simard got the visitors on the board early in the match, finding the back of the net at the 12' mark to go up 1-0.
Saginaw Valley tied the contest at 1-1 with just under five minutes remaining in the opening half when Kayla Trevino picked up a loose ball deep in the Ashland end and scored.
Despite solid scoring chances in the second half, the teams would finish regulation still at the 1-1 stalemate. Each team had 15 total shots throughout the 90-minute regulation period.
The SV defense picked up the pace in the overtime sessions, not allowing a single Eagle shot throughout. In the first overtime, SVSU got-off a single shot and the match remained 1-1 headed to double overtime.
It was at the 106' minute marker when the Cards capitalized for the victory, as Amanda Minissale hit a low free-kick through and found Carlee Davis, who knocked it past the AU goalkeeper for the 2-1 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Davis had three shots with two on goal, including the game-winner. That was her first career goal for the Cardinals.
- Trevino now has five goals on the season, ranking her second on the squad.
- Minissale's assist gives her two on the season.
- Alyssa Watts (9-1-2) picked up the victory in net, posting a pair of saves and allowing just one goal.
- SVSU posted an 18-15 overall edge in shots.
- The Cardinals put five shots on goal compared to Ashland's three.
From Head Coach Michael O'Neill
Saginaw Valley hits the road for its next two matches. The Cards play at No. 2 Grand Valley State on Friday (Oct. 12) in a 7:00 p.m. matchup before facing Davenport on Sunday in a 3:00 p.m. battle. Follow the action live at www.svsucardinals.com.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---