Midland, Mich. — The SVSU Women's Soccer team headed to Northwood University Friday afternoon for their third GLIAC matchup of the season. The Cardinals went on to defeat the Timberwolves on their home turf, 1-0, continuing the teams clean sheet in conference play and a 7-1-1 overall record. Northwood falls to 2-6, 1-2 in GLIAC play.
Freshman forward, Sarah Ismail, earned her first career goal to open up the contest at cross town rivals, Northwood, giving SVSU the 1-0 edge at the 37' mark of the contest. The helper would come from senior Kayla Trevino, her first assist of the season.
Northwood's defense created problems for the Cardinals, allowing only a total of six shots goal for the remainder of the contest. This would be the lowest total of shots for Saginaw Valley so far in 2018 conference play.
Luckily, Ismail's goal was enough to secure the victory for SVSU, hanging on to their perfect GLIAC record. Also, this win was the teams fifth clean sheet of the season.
Inside the Box Score:
- Alyssa Watts (7-1-1, 3-0 GLIAC) earned her seventh victory of the season, stopping all five shots on goal in today's matchup.
- Ismail posted two shots, with one being her first goal as a Cardinal.
- Valentina Giambanco earned the teams top slot in shots with four.
- Amy Babon, MacCulley Barry, Olivia Cogo and Molly Vanderhoff, each had one shot on goal.
- Trevino had an assist and a shot on goal in today's victory.
- SVSU edged out a 5:1 ratio in corners.
The Cardinals will remain on the road to take on #14 Ferris State in Big Rapids on Sunday beginning at noon. SVSU fell to the Bulldogs in a regional contest earlier this season, 2-1. Live stats and video will be available for the contest.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc | @svsuathletics
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---