UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Saginaw Valley State University hosted the Walsh University Cavaliers on Sunday (Oct. 2) afternoon in a GLIAC women's soccer matchup. The Lady Cardinals fell behind 1-0 after the first half, but responded with a trio of second half goals to secure a 3-1 victory at Braddock Field.
Walsh jumped out to the 1-0 lead at the 39' marker when Rachel Repasky found the back of the net, which is where the score would remain heading into the halftime break.
Syrowik would strike again four minutes later, using a pass from Mallory Hestwood to score another goal for the 2-1 advantage.
That two-goal advantage would prove to be the final, as the Cards notched their eighth victory of the season.
Inside the Boxscore
- Syrowik's two goals gives her three on the 2016 campaign. It marks her first-ever multiple goal match. She has three goals on just five total shots this season.
- Henderson now has nine goals for the Lady Cardinals. That total ranks second in the GLIAC.
- Hestwood and Minissale each registered their second assists on the year while Bals now has four.
- SVSU posted a 21-10 edge in overall shots, putting 10 on goal compared to Walsh's four.
- Claire Spleth (8-2-1) got the victory for the Cards, making three saves in her 90 minutes between the posts.
From Head Coach Michael O'Neill
"Today was very much a game of two halves. We started with a lot of possession but we were quite slow and failed to create any real clear cut opportunities. That, combined with our poor defensive pressure, meant Walsh was getting opportunities on the counter. We spoke about playing a little more directat half in hopes that we would create opportunities and, right from the get-go, we had the momentum. I'm proud of the girls for how we responded in the second half and I hope we can use this game as both a lesson and a blessing moving forward."
Saginaw Valley continues league play this upcoming weekend, as it hosts a pair of teams from the Upper Peninsula. The Cardinals host Michigan Tech Friday (Oct. 7) at 1:00 p.m. before playing Northern Michigan on Sunday at noon.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc