Findlay, Ohio. - The SVSU women's soccer team traveled to Findlay, Ohio for the first league match of the 2016 season. The Lady Cardinals dropped the match on Friday (Sept. 23) by a close 1-0 score at DeHaven Field.
The SVSU defense held strong in the early goings of the match, all the way until Findlay was able to score in the 29th minute of the match on a cross to Megan Kupetz.
The Cardinals were able to regroup in the second half and led the charge offensively. Though they outshot the Oilers, 9-3 in the second half, the visitors weren't able to get on the board and would fall by the 1-0 count despite putting a pair of shots on net that were saved within the final 10 minutes of play.
Inside the Boxscore
- Ashley Henderson led the Cardinals with three shots in the match. Her third shot attempt on the match now makes her the record holder in the category in SVSU history.
- Valentina Giambanco ahad two shot attempts, one of those being on goal.
- The Cardinals had a total of four corner kick attempts compared to just a pair for the Oilers.
- Findlay had four shots on goal for the match, finding the back of the net on one of them.
- Claire Spleth (6-2) made three saves in the loss, facing those four shots on goal in 90 minutes between the posts.
Saginaw Valley will finish its road trip through Ohio with a match against the Ohio Dominican Panthers on Sunday (Sep. 25). First kick is set for 1:00 p.m. in Columbus, Ohio.
@SVSUWSOC | #svsuwsoc