Score: Saginaw Valley 1, Cedarville 0
Records: SVSU (1-0-0) | CU (0-1-0)
Location: Braddock Field - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - Opening its 2016 season at home on the turf of Braddock Field, the SVSU women's soccer hosted the defending GMAC champions and NCAA Division II tournament participant in the Cedarville University Yellow Jackets. After a strong defensive performance, the Cardinals got the only goal they would need 23:14 into the contest when Ashley Henderson found the back of the net for the game's only score and the 1-0 victory.
The goal at the 23:14 marker came off a cross pass from freshman Molly Vanderhoff, as she found the senior Henderson, who plugged the ball in past the goalkeeper.
Henderson's goal would prove to be all the Cards would need, as they closed-out for the shutout to begin the 2016 campaign with the win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Henderson's goal marks her first of the season, as she led the team with 10 a year ago.
- Vanderhoff's helper was the first of her career for SVSU in the victory.
- Saginaw Valley was dominant throughout the contest on both ends, posting 22 shots while holding the Yellow Jackets to just a single shot in the 60 minutes of play.
- Vanderhoff led the team with four total shots while Henderson posted three.
- Claire Spleth (1-0-0) got her first shutout of the season in 90 minutes between the posts.
From Head Coach Michael O'Neill
"Firstly, we are delighted to start the season with the win. I thought we came out of the blocks fast and were able to put Cedarville under immense pressure. We felt a little frustrated at halftime that it wasn't a bigger lead but we also know that if kept that clean sheet in tact, it would be enough. Our energy and quality dropped in the second half, which is something we will have to fix. Overall, a solid team effort and a good way to start the season. We now re-focus for another tough opponent on Saturday in Lewis."
SVSU plays the Lewis Flyers at home on Saturday, a match that will feature a noon start. The Flyers are coming off a 3-0 victory at Ferris State University on Thursday.