Score: Saginaw Valley State 2 - Walsh University 1
Records: SVSU (4-7-0, 2-5-0 GLIAC) | Walsh (5-4-2, 3-3-0 GLIAC)
Location: Braddock Field - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER - The SVSU's women's soccer team edged-out the Walsh Cavaliers in a close contest on Friday afternoon (Oct. 9) at Braddock Field.
They were able to carry their lead until the 63 minute mark in the second half, when Walsh's Jessie Gearhart made a goal off a penalty kick to knot the score at 1-1.
Saginaw Valley took back the lead when Alexis Hilliard posted an unassisted goal at 74:17 to give the home squad the lead back. The game ended with a final score of 2-1, with the Hilliard goal proving to be the game-winner.
Inside the Boxscore
- SVSU posted 18 shots in total compared to Walsh's five.
- The Cardinals held an 8-4 advantage in corner kicks.
- Kailey Naumcheff (1-1-0) saved two shots on goal, earning her first victory of the season.
- Ashley Henderson had a match-high eight shots, three of which were on goal.
- Walsh University's Michaella Stucky saved eight out of SV's 10 shots on goal.
From Head Coach Michael O'Neill
"It was great to get back to winning ways today. We dominated the game from start to finish and it was the result we deserved. We have been putting in some extra hours on the training ground this week and it definitely paid-off. We are hopeful that today can provide us a platform to build on as we look to finish the season strong."
Up Next for the Lady Cardinals...
The Cardinals will host Delta College at home on Tuesday (Oct. 13) at 4:00 p.m. Next weekend they will host Malone University on Friday (Oct. 16) at 1:00 p.m and Findlay University on Sunday (Oct. 18) at noon.