UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Women's Basketball squad had a tough matchup on Thursday (Feb. 20) evening, hosting the No. 2 team in the country in the Ashland University Eagles. Ashland built a 15 point lead at the halftime break and would close-out the game with a solid second half to secure a 94-69 victory over the Cardinals.
With the victory, AU remains unbeaten on the season at 26-0 and 18-0 in the GLIAC while the Cardinals fall to 12-14 overall and 8-10 in league play.
Ashland posted a 23-14 lead through the first quarter of play and a 21-15 edge in the second, putting the halftime score at 44-29.
The third quarter saw each team put up some points, with the Eagles shooting 71.4% (10-14) from the floor and SVSU hitting on 52.9% (9-17) of its tries as AU outscored the hosts 31-24 in the frame. That put the visitors up 75-53 as the teams entered the final quarter.
The Eagles closed things out in the fourth, outscoring the Cards 19-16 to finish-off the 94-69 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Mariah Cook had a team-high 16 points with a team-high five rebounds with three assists and two steals in the game. She was named the Meijer "Player of the Game."
- Maddie Maloney added 16 points as well with four boards and an assist.
- Tori DePerry reached double-figures in scoring as well, netting 15 points with two rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Kaitlyn Zarycki added eight points, eight assists, five rebounds and three steals. The eight assists sets a new career-high for the freshman.
- Tyler Scheid added a career-high nine points with four rebounds as well.
Saginaw Valley returns to its home court on Saturday (Feb. 22), hosting Wayne State. Tip-off is set for 1:00 p.m. at O'Neill Arena. The Cardinals will honor seniors Aaliah Hill, Mariah Cook and Katie Schultz pregame, along with Student Assistant Josh Bouchard.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---