UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Women's Basketball team defeated the Panthers of Davenport University in a road GLIAC match-up by a final score of 78-69 on Thursday (Jan. 16) evening. Kaitlyn Zarycki had another big game for the Cardinals, netting 27 points while grabbing six boards versus the Panthers.
The entire first half was close and the first quarter finished with a tied score, 23-23, through the first 10 minutes of action. Zarycki led the way for the visitors in the opening quarter with eight points, a block, and a steal.
SVSU was outscored by the Panthers by a 18-16 count in the second quarter, using five more points from Zarycki and five from Maddie Barrie to enter the locker room at the half down by two with a score of 41-39.
In the third quarter, Saginaw Valley outscored the home team 22-17 as Zarycki added eight more points to her running total of 27 as the Cardinals took a 61-58 lead into the fourth and final quarter.
The Cardinals were able to close out the fourth quarter with Zarycki and Barrie both adding six points which led to a 78-69 victory in favor of the Cardinals.
Inside the Boxscore
- Zarycki scored 27 points on 9-of-13 shooting, adding six boards, an assist, three steals and a block. She was named the Meijer "Player of the Game" once again.
- Barrie finished with 18 points for the Cards, adding two rebounds and a pair of assists.
- Maddie Maloney had double-figures in scoring as well with 12 points with five assists and a board.
- The Cardinals ended the game with a higher shooting percentage, 52.9%, compared to the Panthers 47.2%.
- Kaitlyn Geers grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds for SVSU.
Saginaw Valley hosts the No. 4-ranked Grand Valley State University Lakers in a GLIAC matchup on Saturday (Jan. 18) with tip-off set for 1:00 p.m. You can follow all of the action live at svsucardinals.com.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---