UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Saginaw Valley State University women's basketball team defeated the Lake Erie Storm in their home opener at James E. O'Neill Arena on Thursday (Nov. 14) evening. The Cardinals' five point lead at halftime quickly grew to a 12 point lead midway through the second half that would eventually lead to a 64-54 win over the Storm.
The Cardinals opened the first half of play shooting 46% from the floor, making 12-of-26 while holding the Storm to 38% making 10-of-26. Aaliah Hill led the team in the first half with 11 points, one steal and two rebounds as the Cardinals entered the locker room leading the Storm, 34-29.
The second half opened with a defensive battle as the Cardinals scored five points in the first three minutes of play. Maddie Barrie led the scoring in the second half for the Cardinals as she put up 10 points and four rebounds. Kaitlyn Geers led the team in rebounds grabbing 7 boards and added a steal and a block.
SVSU took a 12 point lead midway through the second half and the Storm were unable to overcome the deficit as the Cardinals closed the game, 64-54, earning win number two on the season.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hill led the Cardinals with a team-high 17 points. She grabbed four rebounds and added a steal.
- Barrie had 14 points for the Cardinals and added four boards, three assists and two steals.
- Geers added 11 points off the bench had a team-high of seven rebounds and added a steal and a block.
- Maloney went 4-of-4 from three-point range, leading to 13 points and a game-high five assists and added five rebounds.
- Ashley Buchholz and Kaitlyn Zarycki added some work on the glass with five rebounds-apiece.
SVSU is back in action on Saturday (Nov. 16) as they hit the road to take on Ursuline with tipoff set for 4:00 p.m.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---