UNIVERSITY CENTER — The SVSU Women's Basketball team fell to the Northern Michigan Wildcats on Saturday, Dec. 1, in O'Neill Arena.
A tough battle in the first quarter between the Cardinal and the Wildcat squads, as the teams finish with NMU leading 17-16 after 10 minutes of action. Two freshman SVSU players led the stats, with Maddie Barrie and Ashley Buchholz each scoring five points.
Saginaw Valley struggled to find the back of the net in the second quarter, as NMU outscored SVSU 17-1 to push the halftime deficit to 34-17.
The Cardinals came out battling in the second half, posting 15 points in the third and even outscored the Wildcats 20-16 in the fourth, but it was not enough to overcome the Northern Michigan lead in the end.
NMU took the victory, 66-52, earning their second GLIAC win of the season, heading to a 7-2 overall record. SVSU falls to 0-5 overall.
Inside the Box Score:
- Barrie led the Cardinal offense with 22 points, earning herself the Meijer Player of the Game accolades. The freshman added three boards and and one steal as well.
- Saginaw Valley hit 14 three-pointers, marking a new program record. The old record was 13, which was versus Findlay during the 2015-16 season.
- Abby Duffy led the defense with eigth boards. She added six points and two assists.
- Maddie Maloney earned nine points and six assists.
- Off the bench, Buchholz recorded 11 points and one board.
From Head Coach Ryan Trevithick
"Tonight was a big test for our resolve. Northern Michigan is a veteran team that knows how to expose your weaknesses and they did that in the second quarter. We got things moving again in the second half but it was too late. Overall, we played 3 really good quarters of basketball but you have to play 40-minutes to earn a win. Being 0-5 is tough but teams aren't going to lay down for us we have to come back and get back to work tomorrow and get ready for Lake State and Ferris!"
The Cardinals will take on Lake Superior State on Thursday, Dec. 6, beginning at 5:30 p.m. on the LSSU Campus. Live stats will be available along with audio for the contest. Links provided on the SVSU Women's Basketball page.
@SVSUWBB | #svsuwbb | @svsuathletics | #BeaksUp
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---