UNIVERSITY CENTER — The SVSU Women's Basketball fell to Northwood in their conclusion of the homestretch Saturday (Jan. 27) afternoon. After an impressive first half with the Cardinals leading 36-33, the teams knotted up 68-68 in regulation. The Timberwolves pulled ahead in the overtime victory, 80-74.
In the first quarter, the Cardinal offense was spread out led by Laurel Jacqmain with five points. SVSU led the Timberwolves 24-18 at the conclusion of the first 10 minutes of action.
All of the Saginaw Valley State starters notched a spot on the board, with Jacqmain recording another five points and Anna Hall adding the teams only two steals in the second quarter. The Cardinals were outscored by a single NU triple, but head into the locker room leading the Timberwolves, 36-33.
Kaitlyn Geers brought the heat with eight points to start out the second half. Francesca Coury added five points as well. With each team posting 20 points each, the Lady Cards 56-53 heading into the fourth quarter.
Northwood's fourth quarter surge left the teams knotted up, 68-68, at the conclusion of regulation play.
The Cardinals struggled to find the board in overtime, letting the Timberwolves double their buckets (12-6) and take the victory 80-74 in O'Neill Arena.
Inside the Box Score:
- Four Cardinals finished in double-digits, with Geers leading the pack with her career-high night of 17 points. She added one steal and one block, earning herself the "meijer" player of the game honors.
- Jacqmain recorded 15 points, seven boards, three assists, one steal and two blocks.
- Coury followed with 14 points and one steal.
- Hannah Settingsgaard added 10 points.
- Hall led with eight assists and eight boards.
- Saginaw Valley found success from the arc, shooting 46.2 percent.
- The Cardinals shot 88.9% from the charity stripe.
- The SVSU bench posted 23 points.
From head coach Jamie Pewinski
The Cardinals will head on the road for the next two games, beginning Thursday (Feb. 1) night where they will take on Lake Superior State. Tip-off is slated for 5:30 p.m.
@SVSUWBB | #svsuwbb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---