COLUMBUS, Ohio — Despite the best offensive scoring output in an opening quarter for the season, the Cardinal Women's Basketball team could not hang on in a non-conference meeting with Glenville State Wednesday (Nov.22) afternoon at Ohio Dominican's Alumni Hall. The Cardinals held a nine point lead at the half, 43-35, but the Pioneers used a strong second half, aided by a 26 point fourth quarter them to claim an 82-62 victory.
SVSU had three players in double-digits scoring, with Abby Duffy and Anna Hall posting the first double-doubles of the year for the Cardinals. Hannah Settingsgaard added 15 points to help lead offensively.
Saginaw Valley State came into the opening quarter aggressive, posting a season high of 27 points in the first 10 minutes of action. The Cards held their largest lead of the night of 14 points over GSU at the 3:30 mark. SV's 27-18 lead after the first quarter marks the team's best start to a game in the seaosn.
Glenville State bounced back in the second quarter, posting an 18-17 edge in points over the Cardinals, sending them into the halftime break trailing by eight, 43-35. The halftime lead was the second of the 2017-18 season for Saginaw Valley State.
Duffy led the team with 12 points and nine rebounds in the first half while Hall notched nine points, four rebounds and a team high of three assists.
GSU continued onto the third quarter and posted an even better offensive performance, going for 21 points in the third while holding SVSU to 12. That put the score at 56-55 in the Pioneers' favor after 30 minutes of action.
Glenville State contiued to outscore SVSU 26-7 in the final quarter, closing out for the 82-62 win.
Inside the Box Score:
- Duffy and Hall both posted their first double-double of the 2017-18 season. Duffy's 18 points were a team-high and her 14 boards mark a new career-high. She was named the "Meijer Player of the Game" after the game.
- Hall added 11 points and 10 rebounds for her double-double.
- Kaitlyn Geers and Hall each had a team-high of four assists.
- Settingsgaard registered a solid 15 points and four rebounds.
- Katie Schultz added in the team-high of two steals. She recorded four points and four rebounds as well.
- Saginaw Valley shot 37.5% (21-of-56 ) from the floor, while GSU went 29-86 for a 33.7% total.
- The Cardinals outscored their opponents in the paint by a 36-32 margin.
The Cardinals will be off for the next week, preparing for the GLIAC season to start on Thursday (Nov. 30) evening at Michigan Tech. The game is slated to begin at 5:30 p.m. The Men's game will follow after at 7:30 p.m. in the SDC gymnasium as part of SVSU's first league double-header.
@SVSUWBB| #svsuwbb | @SVSUAthetics | #GoSVSU
— www.svsucardinals.com —