UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University track and field teams began their season this weekend, hosting the SVSU Holiday Open on Friday and Saturday at the Ryder Center. The Cardinals also sent athletes to Grand Valley State University to compete.
- Kelsey Landra won the women's pentathlon on Friday evening, scoring 3009 points. Landra won three of five events, the 60-meter hurdles, the high jump, and the 800-meter run. She took second in the shot put and the long jump.
- Cheyenne Williamson set a new school record in the 60-meter hurdles, running 8.38 seconds and taking first place. She also took first in the long jump with a leap of 6.21 meters and was sixth in the shot put with a toss of 11.94 meters.
- Alona Olshevska set a new school record in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.56 seconds, winning the event.
- Ali Aldrich placed second in the weight throw with a toss of 17.84 meters.
- In the 4x400-meter relay, Landra, Williamson, Olshevska, and Olivia Carpenter closed the meet with a first-place finish with a time of 3:55.75.
- Alexa Keiser and Arianna Wegienka competed in the 5000-meter run at GVSU on Friday night. Keiser finished with a time of 17:15.85, while Wegienka ran 17:23.71.
- Dan Westarb won the heptathlon event. The senior from Macomb, Mich., won six of seven events over two days.
- In the 5000-meter race at Grand Valley State University, Dayton Brown ran a new personal-best of 13:58.57, while CarLee Stimpfel also competed and ran 14:17.50.
- Cavan Wilcox took the victory in the pole vault at SVSU with a mark of 4.57 meters.
- Austin Rippee placed third in the 800-meter run with a time of 1:57.98.
- Thomas Hufton was second in the 5000-meter run on Saturday with a time of 14:46.78.
- Clarence Corbett earned a second-place finish in the shot put with a throw of 16.14 meters.
The Cardinals will return to action following the holiday break, hosting the SVSU Classic on Friday, Jan. 14 at the Ryder Center.