ALLENDALE -- The Cardinal Track & Field teams began competition on Saturday (Feb. 29) for day one of the 2020 GLIAC Indoor Championships, which is hosted by GVSU in Allendale, Michigan.
Both Saginaw Valley teams sit in third place overall after the first day of competition, with the women's team scoring 30 points and the men's side posting 23 points.
- Cheyenne Williamson claimed the GLIAC title in the long jump, leaping to a distance of 19' 7.5". That distance is a new program record as well, besting the previous distance of 19' 7". She is now ranked eighth in the nation with her distance.
- Lauren Huebner took third in the same event, securing the podium finish with a mark of 18' 3".
- The Cardinal Women won a league title in the distance medley relay as well with a time of 11:43.70. The provisional time was posted by Huebner, Morgan Fuerst, Jenna Keiser and Sydney Kreger. Their time ranks 14th in the country.
- Williamson had the top time in the 60 hurdles prelims, finishing at 8.64 seconds for a provisional time. Huebner was right behind in 2nd place with her mark of 8.86 seconds. Her time of 8.64 currently ranks 14th in the nation.
- Alona Olshevska posted a time of 7.80 seconds in the 60 meter dash, advancing her to the finals after the fourth-best time in the prelims. She will compete in the finals of the 200 as well, registering the No. 5 time with a 25.10 second mark.
- Timyah Meeks and Ali Aldrich each had provisional distances in the weight throw, posting marks of 18.61 meters and 18.44 meters, respectively.
- Dayton Brown and CarLee Stimpfel finished 3-4 in the 5,000 meter run. Brown crossed the line in a final time of 14:30.26 and Stimpfel was 14:35.23. Both were provisional qualifying times.
- Sam Black will be moving on to the finals of the 60 hurdles after his 4th-best time of 8.28 seconds in the prelims. He finished 4th in the long jump with a distance of 22' 10.5".
- Juan Bowers will move on to the finals of the 400 dash after posting a time of 48.98 seconds. He qualified for the finals of the 200 as well with a time of 22.06 seconds.
The Cardinals return to the track on Sunday (Mar. 1) for day two of the league championships. The field events will begin at 10:30 a.m. and the running events start at 12:15 p.m. You can follow all of the action live here.