UNIVERSITY CENTER — The Saginaw Valley State Men's and Women's Track and Field teams opened up their indoor season Friday night and Saturday morning at the SVSU Holiday Open. Some distance runners also traveled over to Grand Valley Sate for their Holiday Classic, as well, finishing 10th out of 33 teams in attendance.
SVSU's own Lauren Huebner won the women's pentathlon with a score of 3663, breaking the school record. She also broke the school record for the 60m hurdles with a time of 8.70. Huebner placed first in two events, the 800m run and the 60m hurdles. She finished top five in the other three events, earning herself a NCAA Provisional.
Men's Top Finishes:
- In the men's 60m dash, Travon Phillips ran 6.98, finishing in fifth place.
- Juan Bowers finished in seventh place, running a 22.33 in the 200m dash.
- In the 400m dash, Carter Eckhardt ran a 49.57, finishing in seventh place.
- Keith Rodriguez recorded a 1:23.83 time in the 600m run, finishing in third overall.
- At the GVSU Holiday Open, Jordan Walters ran a 1:52.33 in the 800m, finishing fourth, while earning a D2Provo. Rylie Feeney finished in eighth place.
- Tellis Donajkowski ran a 4:46.60 in the men's one mile run
- Owen Howard added a time of 15:26.19 in the 5000m race, finishing in second. At the GVSU Open, Tom Goforth earned a D2Provo with a time of 14:10.89, setting a new school record. Clyde Anderson earned a D2Provo as well with a time of 14:40.75.
- Tyler Head ran a 8.77 in the mens 60m hurdles.
- In the men's 4x400m relay, SVSU took third with a time of 3:22.76.
- In the men's long jump competition, Brandon Keys finished in fourth with a jump of 6.35m.
- Ryan Kelly won the shotput competition with a throw of 17.3m, earning himself a NCAA Provo. Nick Endres finished in fourth in the shotput and third in the weight throw with a distance of 15.57m.
- Noah Dooley finished in sixth place with 3147 in the men's heptathlon. In the 60m dash, Dooley recorded a first place finish with a time of 7.17. Jacob Netschke recorded a seventh place finish.
- The men finished 14th at GVSU out of all 18 events scored.
Women's Top Finishes:
- Junior Morgan Fuerst finished first at the GVSU Holiday Open in the one mile run, ending with a time of 5:01.16. Jenna Keiser followed closely behind in second place with a time of 5:05.26. Sydney Kreger finished fifth in this race as well.
- Alona Olshevska finished fourth in the 200m dash with a time of 25.70.
- Dominique Adams recorded a time of 5:18.57 in the one mile run, earning herself a first place finish. Kinzie Sikkema finished closely behind Adams in second place, running a 5:20.21.
- Carissa Martin ran a 19:12.22 in the women's 5000 meter run, finishing seventh. Allison Dorr competed in the 5000m race at GVSU, finishing with a time of 17:14.87, earning a D2 Provisional score.
- The Cardinals took first place in the women's 4x400 meter relay with a time of 3:59.23. Olshevska, Kelsey Landra, Angie Higgins and Jordan Harvey, are all the members of the relay team.
- In the women's pole vaulting competition, SVSU placed two in the top ten, with Ciera Weber securing a height of 3.19m. Brooke Sutyak finished in eighth place with a finishing height of 3.04m.
- With a long jump of 5.31m, DonnaJean Eschenbacher finished in third place overall.
- Ali Aldrich had a NCAA Provisional throw in shot put at 13.78m. She finished second place. Aldrich finished in third place in the weighted throw, as well.
- Overall, the women finished in eighth place at the GVSU Holiday Open.
The Cardinals will head on the holiday break and will return to action on Jan. 11, 2019, at the SVSU Classic.
@SVtfxc | #svsutrack | @svsuathletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---