ASHLAND, Ohio -- The Cardinal Track & Field teams fought tough weather conditions with some rain and wind to finish second day competition at the 2018 GLIAC Outdoor Championships, hosted by Ashland University. The Cardinals had several top finishes in Thursday's action, including a sweep of the top three spots in the decathlon.
The SVSU men are third overall with 51 points, just five behind GVSU, while the women are in 8th place with 15 points. Both sides only have seven of 21 events scored so far.
- Sam Black led a trio of SV athletes in the top three, taking 1st with 6,991 points. Andrew Mudd was runner-up with 6,510 while Joesph Thwing was 3rd with 6,379.
- In the high jump, Noah VanderVeen took 2nd place with a height of 2.09 meters.
- Clyde Anderson had a podium finish in the 10,000 meters, finishing 3rd with his time of 31:46.67. Nate Frasier and Branden Bohling scored for the Cardinals as well, finishing 6th and 7th with times of 32:23.42 and 32:46.08, respectively.
- Tom Goforth and Parker Eisengruber will each move on to the 1,500 meter finals. Goforth was 3rd in the prelims with a mark of 4:02.01 while Eisengruber was 6th with his 4:08.11.
- In the 400 prelims, Carter Eckhardt finished 5th with his 48.87 second time to move on to Friday's finals.
- Jordan Walters and Riley Freeney will advance to the 800 meter finals after finishing 4th and 7th with times of 1:54.70 and 1:56.29, respectively.
- Travon Phillips qualified for the finals after finishing 5th in the prelims of the 100 with his time of 10.57 seconds. He would continue on and qualify for the 200 finals as well with a mark of 21.50 seconds.
- In the 400 hurdles, Cordell Richardson will run in the finals on Friday after posting a 7th place finish with his time of 56.76 seconds.
- Jenna Keiser heads into Friday's 1,500 meter finals race with the top spot after taking her heat with a time of 4:49.36. Sydney Kreger (4:56.68) and Kinzie Sikkema (5:03.25) will race in the final as well after posting the 10th and 12th-best times, respectively.
- Allison Dorr was the runner-up in the 10,000 meters, finishing with a time of 37:36.60. Darby Meinecke was 8th in the same race with her personal best time of 39:14.75.
- Lauren Huebner will race in the 100 hurdles finals after registering a time of 14.27 seconds in her third-best finish. She added another finals appearance later, finishing 5th in the 400 hurdles with her mark of 1:04.78.
- Brooke Sutyak was 5th in the pole vault competition, clearing the bar at a height of 3.22 meters.
- Morgan Fuerst moves on to the 800 meter finals after finishing 5th in prelims with her mark of 2:16.78.
- Alicia Tomlin scored for the Cards, finishing 7th in the 3,000 steeplechase with a time of 11.55.99.
The Cardinals finish competition on Friday in Ashland. Field events will begin at 10:45 a.m. while running events get underway at 12:10 p.m.
@SVtfxc | #svsutrack | @svsuathletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---