UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The Saginaw Valley State University swimming and diving teams continued the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference Championships Sunday at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center. The men's team currently sits 5th in the team standings with 286.5 points, while the Cardinal women are 4th with 304 points.
- In the 500-yard freestyle race, Lucy Engle-Wilkerson took sixth place with a time of 5:08.71. Tonya Guryeva was right behind in seventh in 5:09.52. Sydney Shipps was 10th overall in 5:09.73.
- Erin McDowell finished fifth in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 57.53 seconds. Zoe Vance finished in 10th-place in 58.87, and Kelsie Thomas was 14th in 59.44.
- Emma Cornell was sixth in the 100-yard breaststroke with a time of 1:04.57. Competing in the B-Finals was Grace Charnstrom in 12th in 1:08.09, and Lisette Fenneuff in 13th-place with a time of 1:08.46.
- The 200-yard butterfly race saw Flora Mia Szklenar take fourth place with a time of 2:05.60. Kimble Darbee was 14th with a time of 2:14.10, and Chelsea Fenton took 16th in 2:18.09.
- Engle-Wilkerson, Shipps, Kylie Clark, and Piper St. Clair finished in fifth place in the 800-yard freestyle relay in 7:44.41.
- Adrien McGill won his second GLIAC diving title of the weekend as he won the 3-meter event, posting 437.90 points. His final dive score of 57.40 points helped earn the sophomore the victory. Right behind McGill in second place was Corbin Montpas with a score of 433.35 points.
- Alejandro Robles Ruiz set a new school record in the 100-yard backstroke with a time of 48.66 seconds, finishing second in the event and hitting the NCAA DII B-Standard.
- In the 100-yard breaststroke, Christian Rottier took third place in 54.71, hitting the NCAA DII B-Standard. Josh Rottier was sixth with a time of 55.71 seconds.
- Matteo Capotosti was ninth in the 500-yard freestyle with a time of 4:35.59, just missing the school record.
- The men's 800-yard freestyle relay team of Robles Ruiz, Capotosti, Logan Fox, and Zachary Rychel finished third with a time of 6:44.25 for a new SVSU school record. Robles Ruiz had a 200-yard freestyle split of 1:37.50 for a new school record in that event.
Quote from SVSU Diving Coach Joe Gucwa:
"Corbin and Adrien had a phenomenal and historic finish in the 3-Meter event, it is the first time SVSU diving has gone 1-2 in a diving event, and the first time in program history a Cardinal diver has swept the diving events. They both dove lights out and finally, all their hard work has paid off, proud is an understatement after their finish tonight."
Wayne State 464
Northern Michigan 430
Northern Michigan 601.5
Wayne State 585.5
The final day of the GLIAC Swimming & Diving Championships will begin at 10 am Monday from the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center.