HOLLAND, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University swimming and diving teams opened the 2021 season with a tri-meet against Hope College and Grand Valley State University Saturday in Holland, Mich.
The Cardinals had several standout performances as the program prepares for the start of the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference season.
- Emma Cornell had strong showings in her two individual events, placing fifth in the 50-yard freestyle (24.97 seconds) and third in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:07.91).
- Freshman Zoe Vance was 10th in both the 50-yard freestyle and 100-yard backstroke.
- Lydia Ely had a solid meet with a seventh-place finish in the 200-yard freestyle and was sixth in the 500-yard freestyle.
- Kiersten Stoddard was seventh in the 100-yard breaststroke and 11th in the 50-yard freestyle.
- Christian Rottier won the 100-yard breaststroke in a time of 55.96 seconds. He was 10th in the 50-yard freestyle.
- The men's 200-yard freestyle relay took first place in 1:26.86. The team consisted of Kyle Amick, Evan Lundquist, Sanders Modglin and Ryan Langdon.
- Josh Hamilton took first in the 50-yard freestyle in 21.48 seconds. He was third in the 100-yard breaststroke.
- Kyle Amick touched the wall just after Hamilton in the 50-yard freestyle, finishing second in 21.64 seconds. He added a third-place finish in the 100-yard freestyle.
"I was really impressed with how we performed today," SVSU Swimming and Diving Head Coach Jason Lintjer said. "We went into the meet with a great attitude and had some awesome results. This team has faced a lot of adversity and I'm very proud with the level of perseverance."
The Cardinals host Davenport University in the team's first home event of the year at 1 pm Saturday, Jan. 30 at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center in University Center, Mich.