UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The Cardinal Swimming & Diving teams hosted the Wayne State University Warriors on Friday (Jan. 10) night at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center. Wayne State came out on top on both sides in the meet, taking a 162-125 victory on the women's side and a 180-103 win for the men's competition.
- Sydney Shipps claimed 1st place in the 1,000 freestyle, touching the board in a final time of 10:52.61. She added another victory in the 500 free, posting a time of 5:20.65 in that race.
- Chelsea Fenton finished right behind Shipps in the 500 free with a time of 5:23.10, good enough for 2nd place.
- The 200 Medley Relay team finished 2nd with a time of 1:53.06, as Erin McDowell, Emma Cornell, Kimble Darbee and Natasha Girgen all competed in that race.
- Girgen took the top spot with a 1st place showing in the 200 free, finishing with a mark of 2:00.79. She added a 2nd place finish in the 50 free with a time of 25.46 seconds.
- McDowell finished 2nd in the 100 backstroke, turning in a time of 1:00.88. She added a 3rd place showing in the 200 back with a mark of 2:13.00.
- Cornell was 2nd in the 100 breaststroke with a time of 1:09.88. She also won the 100 free race with her time of 54.79 seconds. Emma added a 3rd place finish in the 200 breast with a time of 2:34.83 as well.
- In the 1 meter diving, Elizabeth Caird was 3rd with 239.50 points. She was 2nd in the 3 meter event, turning in a total of 258.00 points.
- Darbee finished 3rd in the 100 fly with her time of 1:01.47, right ahead of Sarah Thompson with her time of 1:02.61.
- Darbee led a trio of top finishers in the 200 IM as well, taking 1st with a time of 2:18.36. Lisette Fenneuff was next with a 2:19.01 and Alicia Sobell was 3rd with a 2:24.21 in her final regular season meet at home on senior day.
- The 200 freestyle relay team swam to a time of 1:43.80, as McDowell, Kelsie Thomas, Fenneuff and Shipps made-up that squad.
- Pedro Rezenda took 2nd in his 1,000 freestyle race, finishing in a time of 10:10.68.
- Tyler Overmyer, Juan-Luke Hamilton, Evan Lindquist and Kyle Amick were 3rd in their 200 Medley Relay race, finishing with a mark of 1:36.32.
- Lindquist added a 1st place finish in the 100 fly with his mark of 52.14 seconds. Mason Hooker was in 3rd in that event with a mark of 53.16 seconds.
- In the 200 free, William Ely was 3rd with his time of 1:46.99.
- SVSU was 1-2 in the 100 backstroke, as Overmyer finished 1st with a time of 53.59 seconds and Mason Hooker was right behind in 2nd with his mark of 53.81.
- Hamilton finished 3rd in the 100 backstroke with his time of 59.61 seconds and 2nd in the 200 breast with a mark of 2:12.10.
- Ryan Langdon had a 2nd place showing in the 200 butterfly, finishing in a time of 2:01.46.
- Amick was 3rd in the 50 free, touching the board in a final time of 21.77 seconds.
- Justin Ott finished 1st in the 1 meter diving event, racking-up 237.35 points.
- Jayden Hutchinson was 4th in the 100 free, finishing with a time of 48.54 in his last regular season meet at home on senior day.
- Overmyer finished 3rd in the 200 back with his time of 2:02.74.
- Jared Caudill and Matthew VanCoppenolle were 1-2 in the 200 IM, finishing with times of 2:03.49 and 2:08.52, respectively.
- The top SVSU 200 freestyle relay team finished with a time of 1:28.32. That team consisted of Stephen Sterlitz, Zachary Rychel, Lindquist and Amick.
Saginaw Valley is back in action on Saturday, Jan. 18 when they travel to Ashland University. The men and women will square-off against Ashland while the women will face Hillsdale as well.
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---