JENISON -- The SVSU Swimming & Diving programs wrapped-up competition at the 2018 GLIAC Swimming & Diving Championships, which were hoted at the Jenison Aquatics Center. The Cardinals would finish in 4th place on both sides, as the women ended up with 536 points while the men notched 358 points.
There was a big post-meet award handed out as well, as Wilhelmina Francisco was named the 2018 Women's Diver of the Year. She claimed the 3 Meter Dive championship on Wednesday and took second place in the 1 Meter Dive on Friday. The Cardinal women had 11 different All-GLIAC honors as well. They can be found here.
Below are Saturday's results for the Cardinals in the finals...
- Alexandra Davis finished 8th with her time of 17:43.51.
- Jayden Hutchinson was 7th in the event, posting a mark of 16:17.70.
- Peter Lin also scored for SV, finishing 10th with his time of 16:34.95.
- Melanie Soenksen took bronze in the event, finishing 3rd with a time of 51.31, which is also an NCAA 'B' Cut time.
- Alexa Bloom finished 9th with a mark of 52.86 while Taylor Grashuis was 15th with a 53.47 in the B Finals.
- Kyle Amick and Michael Spears were in the B Finals, finishing 14th and 15th with times of 46.96 and 46.97, respectively.
- Rebeca Martinez continued her solid championship performance, placing runner-up with a time of 2:00.42. That is also an NCAA 'B' Cut time.
- Amanda Thielen had a B Cut time of her own in the A Finals, finishing 4th with a mark of 2:01.52.
- In the B Finals, Sarah Luciani and Alicia Sobell finished 14th and 16th with times of 2:08.99 and 2:12.61, respectively.
- Two men competed in the B Finals as well. Philip Billiu finished 12th with a 1:54.92 while Connor Henning was 14th with a 1:57.26.
- Lydia Mattar had another impressive performance, finishing 3rd to take the bronze with her time of 2:18.49. It marked another 'B' Cut time as well for her.
- In the B Finals of the event, Kimble Darbee was 13th with a 2:30.46 and Grace Trombley finished 16th with her time of 2:35.75.
- Shaun Yap finished 7th in the event with a mark of 2:04.64.
- Matthew VanCoppenolle and Kolton Kovac were 13th and 16th, respectively, posting times of 2:12.87 and 2:18.63.
400 Freestyle Relay
- The men finished 4th with a time of 3:06.83. That team consisted of Yap, Hutchinson, Spears and Amick.
- The women were 5th, finishing with a 3:33.27. Martinez, Davis, Grashuis and Soenksen teamed-up for that effort.
The Cardinals will have several athletes competing at the 2018 NCAA Division II Championships. Those will take place Mar. 14-17 in Greensboro, North Carolina.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---