JENISON -- The SVSU Swimming & Diving squads continued competition at the 2018 GLIAC Swimming & Diving Championships on Thursday (Feb. 15) at the Jenison Aquatics Center. The Cardinals, led by a GLIAC Championship in the 400 IM from Rebeca Martinez, sit in fourth place on both the women's and men's sides.
The SVSU women are in the fourth slot with 265 points while the men are No. 4 after accumulating 182 points.
- In the 400 IM, Rebeca Martinez and Lydia Mattar played 3rd and 4th, respectively, advancing to the A Finals with times of 4:29.05 and 4:29.97. Both times were B qualifying times. Alicia Sobell advanced to the B Finals of the event, posting the 13th-best time with her 4:43.85.
- Alexa Bloom made the A Finals of the 100 Butterfly, finishing 7th with her mark of 57.27 seconds. Sarah Thompson qualified for the B Finals with her time of 59.23, finishing 15th.
- In the Men's 100 Fly, Dylan Kopacki advanced to the A Finals with his 8th place finish of 50.44 seconds. Dalton Pokley (10th) and Michael Spears (13th) made the B Finals, posting marks of 50.60 and 50.95, respectively. Connor Henning was 16th with his 51.53.
- Taylor Grashuis made the A Finals of the 200 Free, finishing 8th after touching the board with a time of 1:55.19. Alexandra Davis qualified for the B Finals with her 15th place showing of 1:56.66.
- In the Men's 200 Free, four Cardinals advanced to the B Finals of the event. Jayden Hutchinson (10th, 1:43.59), Kyle Amick (11th, 1:43.67), Peter Lin (14th, 1:44.57) and Frederich Schulz (15th, 1:44.92) all moved on to the event.
Men's 1 Meter Diving Finals
- Justin Ott finished in 5th place in the diving finals. He posted a final score of
- Martinez finished-off her finals performance with a first place showing, touching the board with a time of 4:25.74. Mattar was right behind, putting forth a runner-up showing in the same event with her time of 4:27.32. Both times are B qualifying marks. Alicia Sobell finished 16th in the B Finals of the race with a mark of 4:44.34.
- Bloom improved to 4th place in the A Finals of the 100 Fly, turning in a time of 56.86 seconds. Thompson finished 16th in the B Finals with her time of 59.91.
- On the men's side in the 100 Fly, Kopacki finished in 7th plce with his 49.95 second showing. Henning, Spears and Pokley finished 12th through 14th with times of 51.14, 51.44 and 51.46.
- Grashuis remained in the 8th slot after her 1:56.15 performance in the 200 Free. Davis improved one spot fo No. 14, as she touched the board in a time of 1:57.31.
- Hutchinson (1:42.13), Lin (1:44.06), Schulz (1:44.32) and Amick (1:44.36) finished consecutively in spots No. 10-13 in the 200 Free.
- The women's 400 Medley Relay Team had a runner-up showing, as Amanda Thielen, Mattar, Bloom and Melanie Soenksen registered a time of 3:46.89.
- The men's 400 Medley Relay squad, consisting of Pokley, Kopacki, Amick and Shaun Yap, finished 4th with their time of 3:22.40.
The third day of competition at the 2018 GLIAC Championships will resume Friday (Feb. 16) morning at 10:00 a.m.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---