JENISON -- The SVSU Swim & Dive programs competed on day one of the 2018 GLIAC Championships on Wednesday (Feb. 14) afternoon. An impressive first day saw the Cardinals bring home two titles, as Melanie Soenksen won first in the 50 Freestyle and Wilhelmina Francisco claimed the top spot in the 3 Meter Diving event.
The Saginaw Valley women sit in fourth place in the overall standings after day one with 135 points while the men are in fifth place with 56 points.
- In the 200 IM, Lydia Mattar posted an NCAA 'B' qualifying time of 2:05.56, advancing her to the A finals. Rebeca Martinez finished 10th and moved on to the B finals with her time of 2:07.73.
- In the 50 Freestyle, Melanie Soenksen finished 2nd and moved on to the A finals with her mark of 23.54, which is a 'B' standard time. Alexa Bloom moved to the B finals in the event as well, posting a time of 24.19.
- The Men's 50 Freestyle saw Kyle Amick advance to the A finals after finishing 8th with his mark of 21.16. Shaun Yap finished 16th with his 21.55, moving him to the B finals.
Women's 3 Meter Diving Finals
- Francisco scored 419.75 points in the 11-dive final, taking first place with her stellar performance. It marked the first league championship for her after the B qualifying mark.
- Soenksen went on to claim her first-ever league championship in the 50 Free, improving on her prelim mark to touch the board with a mark of 23.43 seconds. Bloom posted the best mark in the 50 Free B Finals, finishing 9th with her time of 24.08.
- Amick and Yap finished in the same No. 8 and No. 16 spots in the 50 Free finals, respectively, turning in times of 21.17 and 21.55.
- Amanda Thielen finished 7th for the Cards in the 1,000 Free, turning in a scoring time of 10:33.47. Alexandra Davis scored as well and finished in 10th with her mark of 10:38.45.
- Jayden Hutchinson finished 10th and scored with his time of 9:41.97 in the 1,000 Free and Peter Lin was right behind in 11th with a mark of 9:45.02. Frederich Schulz also scored, finishing in 16th with a time of 10:06.23.
- Mattar would end up in 6th in the 200 IM Finals with a mark of 2:05.81 while Martinez was 9th with her time of 2:05.55 that was best in the B Finals.
- The Women's 200 Medley Relay Team, consisting of Soenksen, Thielen, Mattar and Bloom, finished in 3rd place with a time of 1:43.80 for a B qualifying time.
- The Men's 200 Medley Relay Team finished 4th with a time of 1:31.19, with that team consisting of Dalton Pokley, Yap, Amick and Dylan Kopacki.
Day two competition continues Thursday morning at 10:00 a.m. from the Jenison High School Aquatics Center.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---