Women: Saginaw Valley 143, Kalamazoo 88
Men: Saginaw Valley 148, Kalamazoo 83
Location: Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center
UNIVERSITY CENTER -- Hosting a dual meet for the second consecutive day, the SVSU Swimming & Diving teams faced Kalamazoo College on Saturday (Oct. 14) afternoon at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center. The Cardinals moved to 4-0 overall on both sided for 2017, with the women defeating the Hornets by a 143-88 count and the men winning 148-83.
- The 400 Medley Relay team of Amanda Thielen, Lydia Mattar, Rebeca Martinez and Melanie Soenksen finished 1st with their time of 4:01.80.
- Alexandra Davis had a solid victory in the 1,000 free, separating herself for the win after a time of 11:04.70. She had a big win in the 500 free as well, posting a time of 5:20.61.
- In the 200 free, Taylor Grashuis was 1st with her time of 1:59.85. Sarah Luciani was right behind with her mark of 2:03.85.
- Soenksen had a 1st place showing in the 50 free, finishing at 24.53 seconds. She was also 1st in the 100 free with a mark of 54.56 seconds.
- Mattar had another win in the 200 IM, finishing with a time of 2:13.32. Teammate Kimble Darbee was right behind in 2nd with her 2:16.44.
- The 200 fly saw Martinez claim 1st with her time of 2:15.26.
- Thielen was 1st in the 200 back, finishing with her mark of 2:10.34.
- Wilhelmina Fransicso claimed 1st in the 1 Meter Diving, finishing with 223.40 points.
- Elizabeth was the next finisher in 3rd with 206.00 points in the 1 Meter.
- The 400 Medley Relay squad of Dalton Pokley, Shaun Yap, Michael Spears and Jayden Hutchinson finished 1st with a time of 3:31.74.
- Peter Lin had a stellar showing in the 1,000 free, finishing first with his time of 9:50.88. He was 1st in the 500 free as well, finishing with a 4:45.46.
- Hutchinson finished 1st in the 200 free, registering a time of 1:44.74. He added a top finish in the 200 fly with a mark of 1:57.78.
- Kyle Amick and Phil Billiu were 1st and 2nd in the 50 free, posting marks of 21.90 and 22.31, respectively.
- Yap claimed 1st in the 200 IM, finishing at 1:56.33. Right behind in 2nd was Pokley with a time of 2:00.65.
- Amick took 1st in the 100 free, finishing with a time of 48.17 seconds.
- Billiu finished tops in the 200 back, touching the board in a time of 1:59.01.
- Justin Ott was 1st in the 1 Meter Diving with a 228.00 score.
- Kevin Aziz was 2nd with his score of 188.90.
From Head Coach Bruce Zimmerman
"Today's competition against Kalamazoo was another positive step forward for the swimming & diving team. Having back-to-back meets over two days is a tough way to start the season and the team responded extremely well. The divers did an outstanding job on the boards and the swimmers stepped up and raced tough. Finishing the weekend with two wins for both the women and the men is a great way start the season!"
The Cardinals travel to compete at the University of Findlay on Saturday, October 28. The meet is slated to begin at 1:00 p.m.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---