Women: Saginaw Valley 151, Alma 51
Men: Saginaw Valley 155, Alma 42
Location: Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center
UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The SVSU Swimming & Diving teams opened the 2017-18 campaign on Friday (Oct. 13) afternoon with a dual meet against Alma College. The Cardinals competed well, posting decisive victories over the Scots. The men defeated their opponents by a 155-42 count while the women claimed a 151-51 victory.
- The 200 yard medley relay A team took 1st, posting a time of 1:51.33. That team consisted of Amanda Thielen, Lydia Mattar, Rebeca Martinez and Alexandra Davis.
- In the 1,000 yard freestyle, Thielen claimed 1st with a time of 10:54.21. She added a top showing in the 100 backstroke as well with a 59.25 second showing.
- The 200 yard freestyle saw Martinez take 1st with her time of 1:59.12. She finished just ahead of Davis (2:00.72) in the race.
- The top two times of the 50 yard freestyle were times in the 25-second range, with Taylor Grashuis winning it with a mark of 25:67 and teammate Aaryn Jewell a close 2nd with a time of 25.75.
- Mattar separated herself as the top finisher of the 100 yard IM, posting a time of 1:02.95. It's a new record in that race for SVSU.
- Martinez finished 1st in the 100 butterfly, posting a time of 1:00.48.
- Melanie Soenksen had a 1st place finish in the 100 free, posting a time of 53.89.
- In the 500 free, Davis took 1st with her time of 5:23.44.
- The men's 200 yard medley relay A team tood 1st as well, registering a time of 1:35.70.
- Jayden Hutchinson took 1st in the 1,000 yard freestyle with his time of 9:57.72.
- Shaun Yap had the top time in the 200 yard freestyle with mark of 1:44.34. Kyle Amick was 2nd with his time of 1:47.66.
- Michael Spears led a trio of top finishers in the 50 yard freestyle with his time of 22.11 seconds. Sanders Modglin (22.64) and Todd Lovas (23.62) were 2nd and 3rd, respectively.
- Peter Lin and Dylan Kopacki had sub-minute times in the 100 yard IM, Lin had a time of 54.58 seconds and Kopacki touched the board with a time of 55.62.
- Spears took 1st in the 100 butterfly with a time of 52.71, with Connor Henning finishing right behind with a mark of 53.54.
- Amick was 1st in the 100 free, registering a time of 47.88 seconds.
- Dalton Pokley was 1st in the 100 backstroke, finishing with a time of 53.92 seconds. Phil Billiu was right behind in 2nd with his time of 54.58 seconds.
- Lin had the top time in the 500 free, finishing with a mark of 4:48.22.
From Head Coach Bruce Zimmerman
"The meet this afternoon was a good season opener for the team. We saw some solid performances out of several swimmers and divers. We used this meet as a barometer for where we are after six weeks of very hard training and to show us what we need to do moving forward."
Saginaw Valley has its second consecutive home meet on Saturday (Oct. 14), as the Cardinals host Kalamazoo College at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center. The meet is slated for a 1:00 p.m. start.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---