Women: SVSU 142, Valparaiso 66
Men: SVSU 147, Valparaiso 66
UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The SVSU women's and men's swimming & diving teams completed another busy weekend as they hosted Valparaiso in a non-conference meet on Sunday (Nov. 6) at the Gerstacker Regional Aquatic Center.
The Cardinals swam well as both the men's and women's competition took convincing victories in several events by scores of 142-66 and 147-66 for the women's and men's teams, respectively.
Below is a list of our top finishers in the meet against the Crusaders...
Women's Top Finishes
- 200 Yard Medley Relay | 1st | 1:48.10 | Amanda Thielen, Lydia Mattar, Alexa Bloom, Melanie Soenksen - 2nd fastest mark in program history.
- 200 Yard Indiviudal Medley | 1st | 2:11.08 | Rebeca Martinez - 5th best time, now holds four of the top six best marks in school history.
- 1 Meter Diving | 1st | 255.00 pts. | Wilhelmina Francisco - Qualified for NCAA Championship Dive-in meet with her top score today.
- 100 Yard Backstroke | 1st | 57.89 | Amanda Thielen - 4th fastest mark
- 50 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 24.36 | Melanie Soenksen - set the second and third best times this weekend.
- 100 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 53.81 | Melanie Soenksen - fastest recorded time in history; now holds three top times in 100 Free.
- 500 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 5:19.01 | Lydia Mattar
- 1650 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 17:56.78 | Amanda Thielen
- 200 Yard Backstroke | 1st | 2:09.65 | Amanda Thielen - fourth victory in meet against Valparaiso.
- 100 Yard Butterfly | 1st | 59.78 | Alexa Bloom - sets the fastest time in history.
Men's Top Finishes
- 200 Yard Medley Relay | 1st | 1:35.58 | Tyler Miller, Shaun Yap, Dylan Kopacki, Christopher Allen
- 200 Yard Individual Medley | 1st | 1:56.61 | Shaun Yap - owns the four fastest marks in 200 IM.
- 100 Yard Backstroke | 1st | 53.97 | Shaun Yap
- 100 Yard Butterfly | 1st | 52.07 | Dylan Kopacki - second victory over Crusaders in meet.
- 50 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 21.79 | Shijie Ng
- 100 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 46.78 | Shaun Yap - 3rd win in the 100 Free during the 2016-17 season.
- 500 Freestyle | 1st | 4:47.77 | Jayden Hutchinson
- 1,650 Yard Freestyle | 1st | 16:33.42 | Peter Lin - 3rd best time, holds four top records in program history.
From Head Coach Bruce Zimmerman
"I am extremely happy with the way the team performed today. Our expectations were to dominate today's competition and have our best times of the season. We accomplished all of our goals in this meet and I am very proud of the way the team performed, individually and as a team. I am very excited to see how we do in our mid-season invitational at Cleveland State University in two weeks."
Saginaw Valley returns to the pool in a couple weekends, as the Cardinals compete at the Cleveland State Invitational. It is set to take place Friday (Nov. 18) through Sunday in all day events.
@SVSUSwim_Dive | #svsuswim