EVANSVILLE, Ind. – The outstanding postseason run for the Saginaw Valley State University softball team ended in the Championship Round of the NCAA DII Midwest Regional against the University of Southern Indiana on Saturday in Evansville, Ind.
The No. 1 seed Screaming Eagles entered the day needing two defeat the No. 8 seed Cardinals twice. USI shutout the Cardinals 5-0 in game one and powered past SVSU 7-2 in the winner-take-all finale.
The losses end the season for SVSU, the GLIAC Tournament Champions, with a record of 36-20 overall.
Game One Breakdown:
- After the Cardinals went down in order in the first, USI got the scoring started with an RBI ground out.
- The Cardinals had their best scoring opportunities in the second and third innings, leaving five total runners on base, including the bases loaded in the third.
- USI hit solo home runs in the third and sixth innings, while Sammie Kihega blasted a two-run shot in the sixth to extend the Screaming Eagle lead to 5-0.
- Sydney Herioux and Maddie Campagna started the seventh off with singles for SVSU, but USI closed the door for the shutout win.
- Emily Depew (15-10) got the start, pitching five innings, allowing three runs on five hits, walking one, and striking out three.
- Alyssa Muench, Sara Moos, and Campagna each finished with two hits for the Cardinals.
Game Two Breakdown:
- The Screaming Eagles went ahead in the first with an RBI double in the first.
- SVSU responded with two runs on a Blasia Moyler triple in the fourth to take a 2-1 lead.
- USI tied the game in the fifth with an RBI single before Kihega went deep again for a three-run home run to put the home team up 5-2.
- USI added two runs in the sixth and held on for the win.
- Julia Mundy (12-6) got the start and took the loss, allowing five runs in 4.2 innings.
- Moyler finished with two hits and two RBIs to lead the Cardinal offense.