EVANSVILLE, Ind. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team continued to cruise through the NCAA DII Midwest Regional pod hosted by Southern Indiana with a second consecutive shutout, topping No. 5 seed Drury University on Friday in Evansville, Ind.
The No. 8 seed Cardinals were held to two hits but scraped across one run in the third and another in the sixth. The runs were more than enough for SVSU starter Julia Mundy, who held Drury to just one hit in the 2-0 win.
SVSU (36-18) moves to the final day of the pod in the winner's position.
- The Cardinals broke through with a run in the third without the aid of a hit. After Sydney Herioux walked and was sacrificed to second, she motored to third on a wild pitch.
- Sarah Gersch drove in Herioux with a ground ball which was misplayed by the Drury second baseman.
- Drury found its lone hit of the game with a single in the fourth, but the runner was stranded.
- Mundy (12-5) faced just two batters over the minimum, allowing one hit and one walk. Mundy struck out seven batters in the complete-game shutout.
- Gersch and Salisbury had the lone two hits for the Cardinals.
The Cardinals will take on No. 1 seed and host USI at 11 am EST on Saturday. With a win, SVSU will advance to the Super Regionals next week. USI will need to defeat the Cardinals twice on Saturday to advance.