UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team hosted Grand Valley State University for a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference doubleheader on Alumni Day on Sunday at the SVSU Softball Complex.
The Lakers scored two in the fourth and one in the fifth before holding on for a 3-1 win in the first game. GVSU completed the sweep with a 6-1 win in five innings in game two. The second game was called early in the top of the sixth due to lightning in the area and is official after five innings.
The losses extend the SVSU skid to five games, dropping the Cardinals to 29-16 overall and 15-8 in the GLIAC.
Game One Breakdown:
- GVSU got the scoring started in game one on an RBI single in the third, followed by a sacrifice fly later in the inning to make it 2-0.
- The Lakers extended their lead to 3-0 with an RBI groundout in the fourth.
- The Cardinals cut into the deficit with an RBI single from Julia Salisbury in the fourth, scoring Sarah Gersch.
- Alyssa Muench (3-3) got the start for the Cardinals on the mound and was charged with the loss. She tossed two innings, allowing two runs on five hits, walking one, and striking out one.
- Emily Depew pitched the final five innings, allowing one unearned run on three hits, walking two, and striking out two.
- Meagan VerVaecke finished with a hit and a sacrifice for the Cardinals.
Game Two Breakdown:
- GVSU scored one in the first and one in the second to take an early advantage.
- Five Cardinal batters were hit by a pitch in the game including VerVaecke with the bases loaded for an RBI in the bottom of the second to put the Cardinals on the board.
- GVSU hit a solo home run in the third and a two-run shot in the fourth to pull ahead 6-1. The game ended after five innings due to lightning in the area.
- Julia Mundy (10-5) was charged with the loss, allowing six runs, five earned, on nine hits, walking one, and striking out three in 3.2 innings.
- Gersch and VerVaecke each recorded a hit for the Cardinals.
The Cardinals travel to rival Northwood University for a doubleheader at 1 pm on Friday in Midland, Mich.