DETROIT – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team pushed its win streak to four games with a road sweep of Wayne State University in a Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference doubleheader Tuesday in Detroit.
The Cardinals held off a late rally from the Warriors to take game one 4-3. SVSU jumped on top early in game two and cruised to a 12-1 win for the sweep. The wins push SVSU to 22-12 overall and 8-4 in the GLIAC.
Game One Breakdown:
- Julia Salisbury put the Cardinals on the board first with an RBI single in the first to score Sarah Gersch.
- SVSU added a run on an RBI walk from Jackie Popko in the second before a wild pitch made it 3-0 in favor of the Cardinals in the third.
- The Cardinals scored their fourth run of the game on a Wayne State fielding error in the fifth.
- Wayne State picked up its first runs of the game in the fifth with a two-run single.
- The Warriors threatened in the seventh with a run but fell short in their comeback attempt.
- Emily Depew (8-7) pitched the complete game, allowing three runs on eight hits, walking two and striking out eight.
- Gersch, Salisbury, and Meagan VerVaecke each finished with two hits.
Game Two Breakdown:
- SVSU jumped out to an 8-0 lead in the second game and never looked back. After RBIs in the first from Leah Denome and VerVaecke, Paige Kolinski singled home two runs to make it 4-0.
- Sara Moos and VerVaecke each added an RBI in the second, while a Jackie Popko single in the third extended the lead to 7-0.
- VerVaecke went over the fence for a solo home run in the fourth.
- The Warriors got on the board in the fourth with a run.
- Moos and Kolinski each added an RBI in the fifth before Blasia Moyler homered to left to score two more later in the inning.
- Gersch, Salisbury, and Moos each finished with three hits in the win.
- Julia Mundy (7-2) pitched all five innings, allowing one run on three hits, striking out six.
The Cardinals are finally set to open the home portion of the schedule with a doubleheader against Purdue-Northwest at 1 pm on Friday at the SVSU Softball Complex.