CALEDONIA, Mich. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team bounced back with a doubleheader sweep at Davenport University on Sunday in Caledonia, Mich.
The Cardinals edged out the Panthers 3-1 in the opener and cruised to a 10-2 victory in six innings in the finale to move 20-12 overall and 6-4 in the Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference.
SVSU served as the home team for the doubleheader.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Panthers got on the board first with an RBI single in the second inning.
- SVSU quickly tied the game with an RBI single from Julia Salisbury in the third scoring Sarah Gersch.
- The Cardinals moved in front on a Panther throwing error in the fourth, while Alexis Gills doubled home Blasia Moyler later in the inning.
- The combination of Alyssa Muench and Emily Depew held the Panthers to one run. Muench started, pitching three innings, allowing one run on three hits, walking one, and striking out two.
- Depew (7-7) pitched the final four innings, allowing just one hit, one walk, and striking out three.
- Salisbury finished with two hits and one RBI.
Game Two Breakdown:
- The Panthers scored the first run for the second straight game with a sacrifice fly in the first.
- Paige Kolinski tied the score with an RBI single in the second for the Cardinals.
- SVSU went in front with five runs in the third, starting with a two-run single from Jackie Popko. Gills doubled home a pair of runs later in the innings, followed by an RBI double from Kolinski to push the SVSU lead to 6-1.
- The Panthers chipped away with an RBI walk in the fourth, but the Cardinals put the game away with four runs in the bottom of the sixth.
- After RBIs from Jessica Kreuzer and Sara Moos, the game ended after two runs were scored on a Panther fielding error.
- After Jaclyn Groves got the start on the mound, allowing two runs, one earned on two hits, Julia Mundy (6-2) earned the win in relief. Mundy pitched 2.2 scoreless innings, allowing two hits and two walks.
- Gersch, Salisbury, and Kolinski each recorded two hits for the Cardinals.
The Cardinals travel to Wayne State University for a doubleheader at 3:30 pm on Tuesday in Detroit.