CEDARVILLE, Ohio – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team completed its tour of the state of Ohio with a doubleheader at Cedarville University on Monday.
The Cardinals were held off the board in game one, falling 1-0. SVSU bounced back with a 4-1 win in game two, as Meagan VerVaecke provided a two-run home run to power the Cardinals to the win.
The split moves SVSU to 14-8 overall as the Cardinals prepare to open Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference play at home this weekend.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Yellow Jackets scored the lone run of the game in the bottom of the first on an RBI double from Casey Bertke.
- The Cardinals had their best scoring chance in the second but stranded runners on second and third.
- Emily Depew (5-5) pitched six innings, allowing one unearned run on four hits, striking out nine.
- Cam Coonan had the lone extra-base hit for the Cardinals with a double.
Game Two Breakdown:
- SVSU got the scoring started with a two-run home run in the third, scoring Jackie Popko.
- Sarah Gersch doubled to center to drive home a run in the fourth scoring Julia Salisbury to make it 3-0.
- The Cardinals added an insurance run in the sixth on an RBI single by Maddie Campagna which brought home Salisbury.
- Cedarville scored one in the sixth to get on the board, but the Cardinals closed the door for the win.
- Julia Mundy (3-1) earned the win on the mound, allowing one run on six hits, striking out three.
- Salisbury finished with two hits and two runs scored.
The Cardinals open the GLIAC season with the 2022 home-opening doubleheader against Ferris State University at noon on Saturday at the SVSU Softball Complex.