COLUMBUS, Ohio -- The Saginaw Valley State University softball team earned a doubleheader split at Ohio Dominican University on Wednesday afternoon. The host Panthers took game one in nine innings 4-3, while the Cardinals came back and won game two 6-3.
SVSU's record is now 10-6 overall.
Game One Breakdown:
- The game was scoreless until the bottom of the third when Ohio Dominican went up 2-0 after a two-run single.
- SVSU got on the board in the top of the fifth, when Sarah Gersch scored on an error.
- Blasia Moyler tied the game at 2-2 when she hit a home run over the left-field fence.
- An RBI single in the top of the seventh inning by Leah Denome scored Jackie Popko and allowed the Cardinals to take a 3-2 lead.
- The Panthers tied the game in the bottom half of the seventh and won it in the bottom of the ninth inning with a game-winning RBI single.
- Alyssa Muench got the start on the mound for SVSU, going 7.1 innings, allowing eight hits, and striking out five batters. She was relieved by Emily Depew who took the loss after pitching 1.1 innings, allowing one run, one hit and striking out three.
Game Two Breakdown:
- Ohio Dominican got on the board in the bottom of the first inning with two runs.
- SVSU responded with three runs in the top of the second inning. Reigning GLIAC Player of the Week Jackie Popko got things started with a solo home run to center field. A sacrifice fly by Maddie Campagna scored Denome, and Julia Salisbury singled home Meagan VerVaecke.
- Moyler made it 4-2 SVSU in the top of the third inning when she hit an RBI double and scored Denome.
- The Cardinals pushed the lead to 6-2 in the top of the fourth when Sarah Gersch doubled home Cam Coonan, and Sara Moos brought home Gersch with an RBI single.
- The Panthers scored in the bottom of the fourth, but were unable to get closer and the Cardinals earned the victory.
- Jaclyn Groves got the start on the mound and went 1.0 inning before being relieved with Julia Mundy, who went 6.0 innings, allowing three hits, one run, and striking out four batters.
SVSU will face Tiffin University in a doubleheader beginning at noon Thursday in Tiffin, Ohio.