WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team completed its first sweep of the team's trip to Florida with wins over St. Cloud State University and Clarion on Thursday in Winter Haven, Fla.
The Cardinals got a pair of solo home runs from Jackie Popko to power past SCSU 4-2 in the first game of the day. Julia Mundy pitched a complete game shutout against Clarion for a 3-0 win. The wins move SVSU to 8-4 overall this season.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Huskies jumped out to a 1-0 lead over the Cardinals with an RBI double in the first.
- Jackie Popko quickly tied the score at 1-1 with a solo home run in the second.
- SVSU took the lead in the fourth with an RBI sacrifice fly in the fourth from Sydney Herioux and extended the advantage to 3-1 with an RBI single from Julia Salisbury in the fifth.
- Popko hit her second home run of the game in the sixth.
- SCSU cut the deficit to 4-2 in the sixth with a home run, but Jaclyn Groves finished the complete game on the mound to close out the win.
- Groves (3-1) tossed all seven innings, allowing two runs on three hits, walking two, and striking out four.
- Salisbury and Popko finished with two hits each.
Game Two Breakdown:
- Popko kept her strong day going with an RBI double in the first to put the Cardinals up 1-0. She came around to score later in the inning on an error by the Golden Eagles.
- The score remained 2-0 in favor of SVSU until the fifth when Sara Moos added an insurance run with a sacrifice fly.
- The run support was more than enough for Julia Mundy, who tossed a complete-game shutout for the win.
- Mundy (1-0) pitched all seven innings, allowing five hits, walking three, and striking out six.
- Popko finished with two hits, both doubles, and an RBI to lead the SVSU offense.
The Cardinals play two more on Friday starting against Felician University at 10 am, followed by a matchup with Augustana University at 2:45 pm in Auburndale, Fla.