WINTER HAVEN, Fla. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team concluded its game with Winona State University on Wednesday in Winter Haven, Fla.
The Cardinals led 4-2 on Tuesday when the game was suspended due to weather in the top of the third inning. Winona State quickly took the lead in the bottom of the third. SVSU scored two in the top of the seventh to go ahead 6-5, but the Warriors answered with one in the bottom of the inning and another in the bottom of the eighth to walk off with a 7-6 win.
The Cardinals drop to 6-4 overall with the loss.
- Winona State got the scoring started with an RBI double in the first on Tuesday.
- SVSU answered quickly with a grand slam home run from Julia Salisbury to take a 4-1 lead.
- Before the rain came, the Warriors got a solo home run in the second to cut the SVSU advantage to 4-2.
- Winona State got going quickly with the restart on Wednesday, hitting a three-run home run in the third to move in front 5-4.
- The score remained in favor of the Warriors until the seventh when Sarah Gersch put the Cardinals back in front with a two-run home run.
- Winona State took advantage of an SVSU error in the seventh to tie the game and send it to extra innings, where the Warriors scored the winning run in the eighth.
- Emily Depew (3-2) took the loss in relief, allowing two unearned runs on three hits, walking one and striking out one.
- Salisbury finished with two hits, one home run, two runs scored, and four RBIs.
The Cardinals return to the field for two games on Thursday starting against St. Cloud State University at 1:45 pm in Winter Haven, Fla.