AUBURNDALE, Fla. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team continued play at The Spring Games with a pair of contests on Monday in Auburndale, Fla.
The Cardinals went to extra innings in both games, topping Lake Erie 5-4 in eight innings before dropping a marathon pitching duel to Minnesota State University-Mankato 3-1 in 11 innings to close day two in Florida.
The split moves SVSU to 6-3 overall this season.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Storm started the scoring with a two-run home run in the first.
- The Cardinals cut the deficit in half with a solo home run from Leah Denome in the fourth.
- Olivia Sabin hit the first home run of her Cardinal career to tie the game at 2-2 in the fifth.
- Lake Erie took advantage of an error by SVSU in the bottom of the fifth to retake a two-run lead.
- Down to their final out, the Cardinals tied the game with back-to-back RBI singles from Julia Salisbury and Sarah Gersch in the top of the seventh.
- Meagan VerVaecke put SVSU up 5-4 with an RBI single in the eighth and the Cardinals held on for the win.
- Emily Depew (3-0) pitched two perfect innings of relief to earn the win, striking out three.
- Gersch was 2-for-3 with an RBI.
Game Two Breakdown:
- The first 10 innings resulted in no runs scored.
- SVSU starter Alyssa Muench went 3.2 innings, striking out three before Depew entered in the fourth inning and pitched the rest of the way.
- Both teams led off the fifth with a double, but neither came around to score.
- Rules for The Spring Games dictated the start of each half inning after the seventh, starting with a runner on second. The pitching and defense held until the 11th on both sides.
- The Mavericks broke through with a sacrifice fly in the 11th, followed by a two-run home run to take a 3-0 lead.
- SVSU fought back and had runners on second and third with no outs in the bottom of the 11th. The Cardinals got on the board with an RBI single from Denome, but Minnesota State closed the door for the win.
- Gersch finished with three hits, while Blasia Moyler added two. Maddie Campagna had the lone extra-base hit for SVSU with a double.
The Cardinals continue play in Florida with two games on Tuesday starting against Winona State at 2:30 pm, followed by a matchup with Augustana University at 4:45 pm. Both games will be played at the DiamondPlex in Winter Haven, Fla.