ROSEMONT, Ill. – The Saginaw Valley State University softball team opened the 2022 season at The Dome in Rosemont, Ill., splitting a pair of games on Thursday.
The Cardinals opened the season with a comeback win, topping Upper Iowa University 2-1. Lewis University held SVSU off the board in the second game of the day, topping the Cardinals 4-0. The split opens the season for the Cardinals at 1-1 overall.
Game One Breakdown:
- The Peacocks opened the scoring in the second inning on an RBI single from Sophia Heckendorf.
- The score remained 1-0 in favor of UIU until Alyssa Muench doubled to left to score Jackie Popko to tie the game for SVSU in the top of the sixth.
- The Cardinals took the lead later in the inning an RBI single to center from Julia Salisbury.
- Emily Depew (1-0) went all seven innings on the mound for SVSU, allowing one run on eight hits, walking one and striking out six.
- Popko and Salisbury each finished with two hits for SVSU.
Game Two Breakdown:
- Lewis got on the board early with a run in the first and added two more in the third to take a 3-0 lead.
- The Flyers made it 4-0 in the fifth on an RBI single to close out the scoring.
- Jaclyn Groves (0-1) took the loss on the mound for SVSU, allowing three runs on four hits, waling two and striking out one in three innings.
- Julia Mundy pitched the final three innings, allowing one run on three hits, walking two and striking out one.
- Popko and Salisbury had the lone two hits for the Cardinals.
SVSU remains at The Dome to play two more on Friday starting against Truman State at 3:30 pm CST in Rosemont, Ill.