UNIVERSITY CENTER -- The 22nd-ranked Cardinal softball team played host to Northwood University on Friday (Apr. 28) afternoon at the SVSU Softball Complex. After claiming a 6-1 victory in the opener, Saginaw Valley closed-out for the sweep with a 7-1 victory in the nightcap.
The sweep sets up a critical Saturday doubleheader versus GVSU to round-out the regular season between the league's top two teams.
SVSU responded to a single Northwood run in the third with three of its own, taking a 3-1 edge. Madison Burgess ripped a two-RBI single that plated Lauren Bachert and Julia Miller, while Evy Lobdell added an RBI that scored Danielle Hamilton.
The Cardinals added another pair in the home half of the 5th, pushing the lead to 5-1. Courtney Reeves put a ball in play and Lobdell would score on an error and Rousse scored on another error for the 5th run.
The 6th inning came and saw SV add the game's final run when Rousse scored Hamilton with an RBI double. That was where the final score remained, with SVSU claiming the 6-1 victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Hamilton was 2-3 in the opener with a pair of runs scored.
- Burgess went 1-2 with a pair of RBI and a walk.
- Rousse was 1-2 as well, adding an RBI, run scored and two walks.
- Lobdell and Bachert rounded-out the hits with one-apiece.
- Samantha Willman (15-5) was stellar in the circle again, allowing just two hits, four walks and a single run while striking-out 11 batters.
The game's first run came in the top of the 4th when Bachert knocked-in Rousse for the 1-0 lead.
Two more runs would follow in the 5th, as the Cardinals used a Burgess RBI single that plated Becky Corbett and an RBI double from Rousse that pushed Burgess across for the 3-0 advantage.
Reeves added a solo shot in the 6th, making the lead 4-0 in SVSU's favor.
The Timberwolves scored their only run in the bottom of the 6th, using a solo home run of their own to make it 4-1.
Another blow by Reeves would come in the 7th, as she hit her second straight home run, this one of a three-run variety, to make the count 7-1. She scored Rousse and Aubree Mouthaan with her 11th home run of the season.
The Cards closed it out defensively in the bottom of the inning, sealing the sweep.
Inside the Boxscore
- Reeves had a monster game at the plate, going 3-4 with two home runs, a double, two runs scored and four RBI. She is now second in the league with her 11 home runs.
- Rousse went 3-4 as well, ripping two doubles with two runs and an RBI.
- Burgess notched three hits with a run and RBI.
- Corbett recorded a pair of hits with a run scored as well.
- Burgess and Rousse each stole a base in the second contest.
- Willman (16-5) notched another victory in game two. She scattered five hits, allowing a single run and two walks with four strikeouts. Her 16 victories ranks third in the GLIAC.
SVSU hosts Grand Valley State Saturday afternoon in a matchup of the top two teams in the GLIAC. The league twinbill is set to begin at 4:00 p.m. The Cardinals will honor seniors Annie Hansen and Samantha Willman prior to the first contest. The Cardinals can claim the 2017 GLIAC regular season championship with a sweep over the Lakers.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU