SPRINGFIELD, Ill. - Continuing its early season regional competition, the SVSU softball team began a weekend series at Illinois-Springfield on Friday (Mar. 3). The Cardinals opened the day with an 11-5 victory over the Prairie Stars before posting a 15-6 comeback victory in the nightcap.
SVSU recorded 33 hits in the doubleheader sweep, including 10 extra-base hits with five home runs to make it five straight victories.
- SVSU struck first in the top of the 1st, getting a pair of runs when Evy Lobdell ripped a two-RBI double to plate Aubree Mouthaan and Meredith Rousse for the 2-0 lead.
- The Prairie Stars notched a trio of runs in the bottom of the 1st, taking the 3-2 edge.
- The Cardinals knotted the score at 3-3 in the top of the 2nd when Madison Burgess scored Becky Corbett on an infield single.
- Saginaw Valley erupted for five runs in the 6th, pushing the lead to 8-3. Julia Miller and Lauren Bachert each had solo home runs, while Rousse added a three-run blast that scored Burgess and Danielle Hamilton.
- The bottom of the 6th saw UIS add two runs, cutting the deficit to 8-5.
- Three runs in the top of the 7th for SV finished things off, as Hamilton added a two-RBI single to push across Bachert and Corbett and Rousse posted an RBI single to score Hamilton for the 11-5 win.
Inside the Boxscore
- Rousse: 3-5, HR (3), 2 R, 4 RBI
- Hamilton: 2-5, 2 R, 2 RBI
- Burgess: 2-4, 2B, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Bachert: 2-4, HR (4), 2 R, 1 RBI
- Mouthaan: 2-5, 1 R
- Reeves: 2-4
- Lobdell: 1-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Miller: 1-3, HR (1), 1 RBI - First career HR
- Pitcher of Record: Anna Conard (3-1) | 5.1 IP, 3 H, 2 ER, 3 BB, 4K
- Walks: None
- Stolen Bases: Corbett (2)
- UIS jumped out to a 6-0 lead after one inning of play, scoring all six of its runs in the first inning.
- The Cardinals continued to score 15 unanswered runs, spreading them out with three runs in five different innings en route to a 15-6 win.
- Miller hit her second home run of the day, a three-run shot, in the top of the 2nd. The round-tripper scored Courtney Reeves and Mouthaan to make it 6-3.
- Three more would come in the 4th, as Mikayla Alexandrou ripped an RBI single to score Corbett and Burgess had a two-RBI single to score Hamilton and Bachert, knotting the score at 6-6.
- Reeves blasted a three-run home run in the 5th, grabbing the 9-6 lead for the visitors and scoring Lobdell and Mouthaan in the process.
- The 6th featured an RBI single from Reeves, a sacrifice fly from Bachert and an RBI single from Hamilton. That pushed the lead to 12-6.
- The game's final scoring came in the top of the 7th, with the Cards adding three more runs once again to put the final count at 15-6. They got the runs compliments of a Lobdell RBI double, Corbett RBI fielder's choice and Hamilton RBI single.
Inside the Boxscore
- Reeves: 2-4, HR (3) 3 R, 4 RBI, 1 BB
- Miller: 1-4, HR (2), 2 R, 3 RBI, 1 BB
- Hamilton: 2-4, 1 R, 2 RBI, 1 BB
- Burgess: 2-4, 2B, 2 RBI
- Mouthaan: 2-4, 3B, 4 R, 1 BB
- Lobdell: 3-5, 2B, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Corbett: 2-5, 1 R, 1 RBI
- Pitcher of Record: Sam Willman (2-2) | 6.0 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 10 K (Pitched Final 6.0 innings)
- Stolen Bases: Hamilton, Corbett, Bachert
- Bachert leads the GLIAC with 4 home runs. Rousse (3), Reeves (3), Miller (2) and Mouthaan (2) are close behind.
- Burgess sits atop the league with 10 stolen bases.
- The Cardinals have five of the top six run producers in the GLIAC, with Bachert (14), Rousse (12), Mouthaan (11) and Lobdell (10) leading the way. Burgess has nine RBI.
- Saginaw Valley ranks atop the league in several categories. Click here to see the full team profile and where the team ranks in the league.
Saginaw Valley plays at UIS for another regional doubleheader on Saturday. The first contest is slated to begin at 12:00 p.m. CST.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusb | @SVSUAthletics | #GoSVSU