DETROIT - The SVSU softball team traveled to play at Wayne State University on Wednesday afternoon in a mid-week doubleheader against the GLIAC-leading and nationally 11th-ranked Warriors. The Cardinals posted a 2-1 victory in the first game before falling by a 10-0 count in five innings in the nightcap.
Wayne State put the first crooked number on the board after a run in the bottom of the first inning to take the 1-0 advantage.
Saginaw Valley responded with a pair of runs in the top half of the second to take the lead at 2-1. The Cards got their runs when Shelby Weeks ripped an RBI single to score Evy Lobdell and added the other when Aubree Mouthaan knocked-in Weeks with the second run.
SVSU starter Samantha Willman would hold the Warriors scoreless from there, as the team closed-out for the single run victory at 2-1.
Inside the Boxscore
- Willman (6-3) had another stellar performance in the circle, allowing just a single run while scattering six hits, three walks and posting two strikeouts in all 7.0 innings.
- Saginaw Valley had seven different players record a single hit in the contest, with Weeks and Mouthaan providing the RBIs for the visitors.
- Madison Burgess, Danielle Hamilton, Lobdell, Murphey, and Sarah Vrabel had the other hits for SV.
- Murphey (2B) had the team's only extra-base hit in the game.
The Cardinals couldn't manage to get anything going offensively in the second game, notching just two in the contest.
The Warriors went for seven runs in the top of the third inning and added a trio of runs in the fourth to take a 10-0 advantage, which is what the final score would be after five innings.
Inside the Boxscore
- Lobdell and Jessica Wood each had a hit for SVSU in the game while Meredith Rousse drew a walk.
- Sarah Appold (7-6) took the loss in the circle, giving up four runs on four hits, walking one batter and posting a pair of strikeouts in her 2.1 innings of work.
Saginaw Valley (27-13, 11-9 GLIAC) continues play at home this weekend to round-out regular season play. The Cardinals host Ashland Friday (Apr. 22) at 3:30 p.m. before playing Lake Erie Saturday at 1:00 p.m. and Tiffin Sunday at noon in GLIAC doubleheaders at the SVSU Softball Complex.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusball
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---