Game #1: Saginaw Valley 8, Lake Superior State 0
Game #2: Saginaw Valley 11, Lake Superior State 0
SVSU Softball Complex - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER - The SVSU softball team posted a clean sweep over Lake Superior State University on Friday in GLIAC action. The Cardinals opened play with an 8-0 win over the Lakers before closing things out with an 11-0 five-inning decision in the nightcap.
The first two innings went scoreless but SVSU got on the board and took a 4-0 lead after adding a pair of runs each in the third and fourth innings. The third inning saw Madison Burgess lace a two-RBI double that scored Lauren Bachert and Bethaney Murphey. The fourth inning featured a two-run home run from Murphey that plated Sarah Vrabel. It was her second home run of the season.
Three more runs in the top of the seventh, compliments of a Danielle Hamilton RBI double that scored Breanna Dinsmoore and a two-RBI single from Meredith Rousse that allowed Hamilton and Becky Corbett to score.
That would do it for the scoring, as the Cardinals held on to the 8-0 lead and closed the game out.
Inside the Boxscore
- The Cardinals had seven hits in the game, with seven different players registering a single hit.
- Burgess, Rousse and Murphey all had a pair of RBIs. Murphey walked twice as well.
- Burgess, Hamilton and Dinsmoore all had a double while Murphey had the long ball.
- Vrabel (6-2) picked-up her sixth victory of the season after working 4.0 innings, allowing five hits and two walks while striking-out three batters.
- Sarah Appold notched her third save of the season after tossing the final three innings. She allowed all no hits and struck-out seven seven batters.
A passed ball allowed Burgess to score and that was followed by a two-RBI double by Lobdell to plate Weeks and Hamilton for a 3-0 first inning lead for SVSU.
Saginaw Valley added two more in the second inning when Burgess knocked-in Corbett with a double and Burgess later scored on a throwing error by the catcher when the catcher attempted to throw her out at third and the ball bounced off of her and continued down the line. The score was 5-0 after the second.
Aubree Mouthaan hit a solo home run in the third, her fourth of the season, to push the lead to 6-0. Kennedi Thomas and Dinsmoore then scored after Hamilton put the ball in play and reached on an error by the second baseman. Those three runs made the score 8-0.
Another trio of runs in the bottom half of the fourth inning extended the Saginaw Valley lead out to 11-0. A Dinsmoore double scored Mouthaan and Thomas had an RBI that scored pinch-runner Samantha Willman. The final run came via a Claire Coopes-Meske RBI single that allowed Dinsmoore to score.
The score stayed there and the game ended early after five innings with the 11-0 score.
Inside the Boxscore
- Mouthaan and Hamilton each had two of the Cardinals' 11 hits.
- Lobdell had a double and pair of RBIs for the Cards.
- Burgess and Conard joined with a double while Mouthaan had a triple and home run for the extra-base hits.
- Annie Hansen (5-1) got her fifth victory of the season after tossing the first 3.0 innings, allowing just a single hit and one run.
- Conard and Hannah Atwell worked the fourth and fifth innings, respectively, in shutout fashion to close out the game. Atwell had two strikeouts in her inning of work.
Saginaw Valley's originally scheduled games for the weekend were postponed until next week due to a poor forecast for the weekend. The Cardinals next play at home Tuesday (Apr. 12) against Ohio Dominican University in a 1:00 p.m. doubleheader.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusball
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---