Game #1: Ferris State 5, Saginaw Valley 4 (8 Innings)
Game #2: Ferris State 5, Saginaw Valley 0
SVSU Softball Complex - University Center, Mich.
UNIVERSITY CENTER, Mich. - The SVSU Softball team hosted its first home GLIAC doubleheader of 2016, as the Cardinals hosted Ferris State University on Tuesday at the SVSU Softball Complex. The Bulldogs came out on top in both ends of the twinbill, winning a 5-4 eight-inning affair in the opener before claiming a 5-0 shutout victory in the nightcap.
Ferris State notched a pair of runs in the top of the first for a 2-0 advantage but SVSU would respond in the bottom half the frame to take the lead.
The Cardinals scored three runs in the bottom to take the 3-2 edge after Aubree Mouthaan blasted a three-run home run that scored Danielle Hamilton and Madison Burgess as well. Both Hamilton and Burgess reached base on a single.
The Bulldogs scored a run in the top of the fourth to knot the score at 3-3 but SVSU would respond once more.
Jessica Wood would get an RBI on a fielder's choice that plated Mouthaan for the 4-3 lead in the bottom half of the fourth.
The top of the seventh would come and Ferris State would tie the score at 4-4 after a throwing error helped prolong the inning.
The game stayed tied 4-4 and entered extra-innings.
The Bulldogs scored an unearned run in the top of the eighth to take the 5-4 edge and the Cardinals couldn't match the single run and would fall by the single run.
Inside the Boxscore
- Mouthaan's home run was her third of the season, as she had three RBIs and two runs scored.
- Hamilton and Evy Lobdell each had two hits with Hamilton scoring a run.
- Wood had a hit and RBI while Bethaney Murphey walked twice.
- Sarah Appold pitched 6.0 innings, allowing three hits and three runs. She struck-out six batters but also walked six.
- Sarah Vrabel (5-2) took the loss in the circle while allowing a run, two runs and a pair of hits.
The Bulldogs struck first in the bottom of the fourth inning with a single run to take the 1-0 edge.
Ferris added four more runs in the last of the sixth, aided by a three-run home run, to push the lead out to 5-0.
Saginaw Valley wasn't able to get any runs on the board and ended up falling by the five run total, 5-0.
Inside the Boxscore
- Of the six hits in the second game, Hamilton had three of those in three at-bats to go along with a walk.
- Shelby Weeks added two hits as well for the home squad.
- Lobdell had the only extra-base hit for the Cardinals with a double in the game.
- Samantha Willman (3-2) took the loss for SVSU after working 5.1 innings, allowing four runs and posting three strikeouts. She allowed eight walks in the contest.
The Cardinals travel to play a doubleheader at Northwood University on Saturday (Apr. 2) at 1:00 p.m. before hosting Lake Superior State University in a Sunday noon doubleheader.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusball
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---