Game #1: Malone 6, Saginaw Valley 2
Game #2: Saginaw Valley 11, Malone 3
Pioneer Softball Field - Canton, Ohio
CANTON, Ohio - The SVSU softball team played its first doubleheader of the year at Malone University this Friday afternoon. The Cardinals fell to Malone in the first game 6-2, before rebounding for an 11-3 victory in the nightcap.
Malone opened the scoring in the bottom of the second, posting a single run. Saginaw Valley came back to take the lead in the top of the third when Meredith Rousse knocked-in two runs in, bringing home Danielle Hamilton and Madison Burgess.
Malone added two runs in the bottom of the third and another in the fourth, pulling ahead 4-2. In the bottom of the fifth, the Pioneers scored their last two runs of the contest, finishing the game with a 6-2 advantage over the Cardinals to claim the victory.
Inside the Boxscore
- Samantha Willman (2-1) pitched the first 4.2 innings, allowing six runs on five hits and striking out six while taking the loss.
- Annie Hansen threw the last 1.1 innings for the Cards and struck out one.
- Burgess went 2-of-4 while scoring a run in the contest.
- Rousse had an RBI double in the game.
- The Cards had six hits in the GLIAC matchup.
Malone took a 2-0 lead in the top of the second, recording two runs.
Saginaw Valley scored again in the bottom of the third when Shelby Weeks hit an RBI single, bringing in Rousse. Evy Lobdell and Breanna Dinsmoore each followed with RBIs of their own, scoring Weeks and Sarah Vrabel, ending the inning with the Cards in the lead 4-2.
In the fourth inning, Rousse scored Burgess for the second time on the day and Weeks scored on an error. Bethaney Murphey hit a homer in the fifth inning, followed by another two runs batted-in from Weeks, putting the Cards ahead 9-2.
Malone posted a run in the top of the sixth before Saginaw Valley added another pair of runs in the bottom half of the frame, ending the game with the Cardinals posting the victory, 11-3.
Inside the Boxscore
- Lobdell went two-of-three, batting in one and scoring another run.
- Rousse was four-of-four in at bats, notched one RBI and two runs.
- Weeks recorded three RBIs, going three-of-four in hits. Weeks also scored twice.
- Sarah Vrabel (5-1) pitched all six innings for the Cardinals. Vrabel allowed three runs on five hits, struck out five and walked only one.
Saginaw Valley travels to Walsh for a doubleheader in North Canton, Ohio starting at 1:00 p.m. on Saturday afternoon to round-out the weekend.
@SVSU_Softball | #svsusball
--- www.svsucardinals.com ---